unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GuixSD encrypted root?
@ 2016-04-18 21:05 Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2016-04-18 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

with the latest luks-related commits in guix I figured it's time to try disk encryption again (after updating guix from git).

I added a mapped-devices section to my config and then did guix reconfigure ... which made it hang at

  making '/gnu/store/5df8pzbsbk2pn2s99hj8r6kb45smy3dv-system' the current system...

The problem is reproducible every time. If I use cryptsetup manually it works (I created a btrfs filesystem on it and mounted it - worked fine).

I tried to patch gnu/system/mapped-devices.scm to pass additional arguments but that didn't do anything either (I can see guix's cryptsetup running when I do "ps -ef", and it didn't receive the new arguments).

And I have a conceptual question: there are many different ways for cryptsetup to get the key and/or passphrase. How do I configure this? What does it do when I said nothing of the key location or type or passphrase input method?

Also, I think the best way to have encrypted home is to have the login manager / pam module unlock your personal encrypted home since these have your password in transit and it doesn't need to be stored anywhere on disk - also it will only be asked once the user actually tries to log in. (Ubuntu also does it like that and it seems to work fine for them)

The global mapped-devices config is useful for whole-disk encryption - where the boot process then has to ask for the passphrase on the console early every time you boot or communicate with some security dongle or the BIOS or whatever - from the initrd.

I know that Jookia et al did a lot of work on this already - but what's the status of full disk encryption (on libreboot)?