unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Should updaters suggest changes to inputs?
@ 2016-09-12 13:45 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-09-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

one problem that I’ve stumbled upon with R packages is that new versions
occasionally depend on new inputs.  “guix refresh -u” updates the
version number and the hash for me, but it doesn’t tell me that new
inputs are needed — or that existing inputs have been dropped —
according to upstream’s DESCRIPTION file.

Usually, these things become obvious when I rebuild all updated
packages, but it’s possible I miss something.

Do you think “guix refresh” should also mention changes to inputs?

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Should updaters suggest changes to inputs?
@ 2016-09-12 14:17 ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-09-12 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> one problem that I’ve stumbled upon with R packages is that new versions
> occasionally depend on new inputs.  “guix refresh -u” updates the
> version number and the hash for me, but it doesn’t tell me that new
> inputs are needed — or that existing inputs have been dropped —
> according to upstream’s DESCRIPTION file.
>
> Usually, these things become obvious when I rebuild all updated
> packages, but it’s possible I miss something.
>
> Do you think “guix refresh” should also mention changes to inputs?

Looks a good idea, maybe with an additional -r / --recursive param...

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Should updaters suggest changes to inputs?
@ 2016-09-12 14:20 ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2016-09-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

On 2016-09-12 08:45, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> one problem that I’ve stumbled upon with R packages is that new
> versions
> occasionally depend on new inputs.  “guix refresh -u” updates the
> version number and the hash for me, but it doesn’t tell me that new
> inputs are needed — or that existing inputs have been dropped —
> according to upstream’s DESCRIPTION file.
>
> Usually, these things become obvious when I rebuild all updated
> packages, but it’s possible I miss something.
>
> Do you think “guix refresh” should also mention changes to inputs?

I think it would be nice.  Similar things happen for Perl packages.

--
`~Eric

* Re: Should updaters suggest changes to inputs?
@ 2016-09-12 14:28 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-09-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 03:45:39PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> one problem that I’ve stumbled upon with R packages is that new versions
> occasionally depend on new inputs.  “guix refresh -u” updates the
> version number and the hash for me, but it doesn’t tell me that new
> inputs are needed — or that existing inputs have been dropped —
> according to upstream’s DESCRIPTION file.
>
> Usually, these things become obvious when I rebuild all updated
> packages, but it’s possible I miss something.
>
> Do you think “guix refresh” should also mention changes to inputs?
>
> ~~ Ricardo

Like if you were rerunning `guix import foo bar'?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Should updaters suggest changes to inputs?
@ 2016-09-12 15:46   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-09-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 03:45:39PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Do you think “guix refresh” should also mention changes to inputs?
[…]
> Like if you were rerunning `guix import foo bar'?

Exactly, that’s the idea.  The updater has to look up upstream
information anyway, so it might as well import and compare the inputs.
If the importers produce high-quality expressions, this would be rather
useful, I think.

@ 2016-09-12 21:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-09-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Bavier; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

Eric Bavier <ericbavier@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> On 2016-09-12 08:45, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Hi Guix,
>>
>> one problem that I’ve stumbled upon with R packages is that new
>> versions
>> occasionally depend on new inputs.  “guix refresh -u” updates the
>> version number and the hash for me, but it doesn’t tell me that new
>> inputs are needed — or that existing inputs have been dropped —
>> according to upstream’s DESCRIPTION file.
>>
>> Usually, these things become obvious when I rebuild all updated
>> packages, but it’s possible I miss something.
>>
>> Do you think “guix refresh” should also mention changes to inputs?
>
> I think it would be nice.  Similar things happen for Perl packages.

+1.  It may also be possible for ‘guix refresh -u’ to update the
‘inputs’ field (using the ‘edit-expression’ procedure that 宋文武 added
a while back.)

Ludo’.