ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > Hello, > > Chris Marusich skribis: > >> Mark H Weaver writes: >> >>> So, we still have a decision to make: whether to delete these generated >>> files (possibly in a snippet) to avoid using pre-generated non-source >>> files in our build. I would be in favor of it. >>> >>> I'd like to hear opinions on this. > > I’d be in favor of removing these, especially since that seems to be an > easy change, but… > >> Perhaps we can consider our existing packages as a precedent. Many >> packages include files in their source distribution that were >> auto-generated by the Autotools. For example, consider the "configure" >> script that Autoconf generates. Is there a significant difference >> between the "configure" script and the "pre-generated non-source files" >> you're talking about? > > Indeed, there’s a long tradition in GNU to ship generated code to > facilitate bootstrapping. There’s configure, Makefile.in, etc., and > there’s also Bison- and Flex-generated files often. > > I have mixed feelings about this. I think it’s great to be able to use > these pre-generated files; our bootstrap graph would be much more > complicated or even out of reach if we were to re-generate everything. > OTOH, it’s true that this is the elephant in the room in terms of > bootstrapping. > > Maybe it’s a can of worms we’d rather leave aside. :-) > > Thoughts? Given the profound silence on this topic, I am inclined to agree with you that it's a can of worms we'd rather leave aside. Therefore, I think we should do whatever is most practical, so I am happy to defer to Mark on this. If it's easy to remove the auto-generated files, I see no reason for us to avoid removing them. If it's difficult to remove the auto-generated files, I don't think we should bend over backwards to remove them. -- Chris