On Mon, Jul 05 2021, John Kehayias wrote: > Hello, > > There have been several recent bug reports and patches (list below) > that could be addressed with some changes to haskell-build-system, the > Hackage importer, and some package updates. Given the number of > packages affected, it was discussed on #guix that it would be good to > have a branch for these changes and to have Cuirass build the Haskell > packages to look for breakage. > > How do we feel about this? I'm happy to help with some patches I've > submitted and update some packages, though it would also be good to > have someone experienced with Haskell packaging and/or Guix too. (I'm > new to both, but I've had success with my patches at least, locally.) > > Here is a (partial) list of the most recent bugs and patches that > would belong on this branch: > > - https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48944 (build failure for new package, > addressed by next patch) > > - https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49199 (patch to add package-db to > runhaskell to help with non-trivial configure stage; worked around in > existing packages with a TODO marked to make this change actually) > > - https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49418 (metadata revisions not imported, > so e.g. dependency requirements out of date) > > - https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49326 (bug with specifying ghc version > for building) > > - https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49320 (importer doesn't support some > stages) > > - https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48999 (local source for Haskell > packages) > > I'm not sure what we would want to include or not in such a branch, > but I think it would make sense to put together the build-system and > related changes at least. Some package updates (like a ghc version) > would also affect a lot of packages, so might be good to do that > together as well. Thank you for bringing this up! I posted a WIP patch for adding GHC 8.10 a while ago, but nobody showed any interest[1]. I don’t have any experience with updating the Haskell toolchain in Guix, but I think it would be great to have a separate branch for updating the haskell-build-system and Haskell packages. :) [1]: https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/87o8cgfbg1.fsf@yoctocell.xyz/