unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix Packaging Meetup Tomorrow (Saturday) Oct 30 18:00 UTC (14:00 ET)
@ 2021-10-29 23:00 jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-10-29 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi Guixers!

I'd like to invite you to a guix packaging meetup tomorrow (Sat) Oct 30 2021 at

14:00 ET (18:00 PM UTC).

Meetup Link (no password):

https://meet.jit.si/guix-meetup

We'll be packaging on a capsul Guix System VPS. I'll share a tmate url at the
meetup.

Hope to see you there!

jgart

https://capsul.org/

* Re: Guix Packaging Meetup Tomorrow (Saturday) Oct 30 18:00 UTC (14:00 ET)
@ 2021-10-31 21:30 ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2021-10-31 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi jgart,

Is there a recording of this available? - I couldn't make it yesterday.

@ 2021-10-31 22:05   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-10-31 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:30:33 +0000 Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi jgart,
>
> Is there a recording of this available? - I couldn't make it yesterday.

Hi Phil,

There's no recording but we essentially worked on the guix cookbook a bit.

I showed one of the attendees how to compile the docs and take a patch to submit to upstream.

I'll let you know if and when they submit the patch. The patch still needed some more work and research before being submitted.

The patch was to add a FAQ section in the cookbook.

The entry that was added was to mention that in order to get the clear command on Guix System the user has to install the ncurses package:

```
guix install ncurses
```

```
guix shell tree -- tree /gnu/store/zzkly5rbfvahwqgcs7crz0ilpi7x5g5p-ncurses-6.2/bin/

/gnu/store/zzkly5rbfvahwqgcs7crz0ilpi7x5g5p-ncurses-6.2/bin/
├── captoinfo -> tic
├── clear
├── infocmp
├── infotocap -> tic
├── ncursesw6-config
├── reset -> tset
├── tabs
├── tic
├── toe
├── tput
└── tset
```

If you'd like to see previous commits made in past meetups just
search for LibreMiami (earlier commits) or Guix Together (recent commits)
in the history of a guix git checkout (master branch):

git shortlog --author="LibreMiami"

or

git shortlog --author="Guix Together"

We meet on the last Saturday of every month at 14:00 ET (18:00 UTC).

Hope to see you at the next one. I'll announce the meetup again on the guix-devel mailing list.

ps

I was recording the first couple of meetups with asciinema but I've since stopped doing that.

Here are those recordings:

https://gitlab.com/libremiami/guix-packaging-meetup-asciinema-recordings

I'm thinking to start blogging over gemini space about what occurs at the meetups in order to give a report to the community but I have not started.

all best,

jgart