Hello Guix! As you may know, librsvg 2.50 on ‘core-updates-frozen’ depends on Rust. However mrustc, which we use to build the first Rust compiler, currently only works on x86_64. This means that ~28% of the packages on ‘core-updates-frozen’ are x86_64-only (vs. ~15% on ‘master’). Among these, the most problematic missing packages are desktop environments: Xfce, GNOME, etc. So far our “pledge”, encoded in ‘etc/release-manifest.scm’, was that all the desktop environments would be available on x86_64 and i686, so that one could install Guix System just the same way on both. Currently this is no longer possible on ‘core-updates-frozen’, and I think that’s a problem. The patch below does something unorthodox: it reintroduces librsvg 2.40 (written in C) and uses it selectively so we can have a desktop environment with Xfce on i686. It’s not enough to get GDM though; there’s a couple of GNOME packages that depend on librsvg and I haven’t checked whether they work with the old librsvg. I think that’s the most realistic way to salvage desktops on i686 for now. In the future mrustc may well support i686¹, or perhaps GCC-Rust will be mature enough to replace mrustc, but in both cases we’re talking about a longer time frame. What do people think? Thanks, Ludo’. ¹ https://github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc/issues/78