unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Updating rclone and non-free dependencies
       [not found] <f9e0b62a-52fc-4b53-8987-905e040c4b1f.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2024-09-18  1:40 ` Superfly Johnson
From: Superfly Johnson @ 2024-09-18  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello there, I've been working on a patchset to update rclone to its
latest version. The latest version of rclone has several free software
dependencies that depend on non-free software.

For instance every go libraries for microsoft Azure or AWS.

Should I add them anyways? Or maybe we should instead pull debian's
patchset for rclone as it removes the non-free (contrib in debian terms)
dependencies.

* Updating rclone and non-free dependencies
@ 2024-09-18 11:25 Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2024-09-18 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: superfly.johnson; +Cc: guix-devel

Thanks for taking the upgrade flag.

The go-team branch contains changes to importer which makes recursive
import much easier.

May you elaborate on non-free software please?

Guix has aws-sdk-go and aws-sdk-go-v2 for a long (5+y) time the license
is asl2.0 (Apache License) as most of the golang code are Expat (MIT).

- https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-go?tab=Apache-2.0-1-ov-file#readme
- https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-go-v2?tab=Apache-2.0-1-ov-file#readme
- https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-go?tab=MIT-1-ov-file#readme

I did estimation on packaging effort for rclone and restic both have
intersecting list of dependencies and they are about 250 in total.

--
Oleg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Updating rclone and non-free dependencies
@ 2024-09-18 15:32 ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2024-09-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: superfly.johnson, guix-devel

> The go-team branch contains changes to importer which makes recursive
> import much easier.

i have some extensive changes to the go importer that is on my TODO to update and re-submit:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55242

i made these commits when i was importing some projects with some 100+ dependencies in their transitive closures.

could you please say a few words about the plans/status of the go-team branch?

and if i get to working on this again, then i guess i should rebase it on the go-team branch, right?

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: Updating rclone and non-free dependencies
@ 2024-09-18 20:56 Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2024-09-18 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: attila; +Cc: guix-devel, Christina O'Donnell, Efraim Flashner