unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* installer no longer signals success or offer reboot
@ 2020-06-03 18:41 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-06-03 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I built the installer image with commit
2f49007dd076b14feb40d7c3331dee3e737265c8 and tried to install a server
with it.

It worked but at the end of the installation when it prompted me to hit
Return it did not tell me that the installation was successful and that
I could reboot.  Instead it brought me right back to the language
selection of the installer.

(One of the systems that I installed like this also has a weird problem.
Any guix command tells me that a glibc patch is missing.  I’ll see if
it’s the same with this server I just installed and report a bug.)

--
Ricardo

* Re: installer no longer signals success or offer reboot
@ 2020-06-04  9:19 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2020-06-04  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Ricardo,

> It worked but at the end of the installation when it prompted me to hit
> Return it did not tell me that the installation was successful and that
> I could reboot.  Instead it brought me right back to the language
> selection of the installer.

I can reproduce this issue on a VM, I'm currently investigating it.

Thanks for reporting,

Mathieu

* Re: installer no longer signals success or offer reboot
@ 2020-06-04 11:32   ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2020-06-04 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey,

> I can reproduce this issue on a VM, I'm currently investigating it.

Ok, found it, it's the cow-store umount bitting again. As a reminder,
once the installation is over, we need to umount the cow-store overlay
in order to be able to umount to underlying media which Guix is
installed upon.

The problem is that, some processes that run during the installation can
open store files (from the overlay) and keep them open. That's why I'm
trying to kill them before umounting the overlay.

Here the issue is that, after the cow-store is mounted, kmscon opens a
font file from the store. So I'm basically killing kmscon and hence
restarting the installation, not great.

I feel a bit stuck here, I cannot find an alternative to overlayfs and
on the other hand umounting the overlay is problematic.

Do people have some ideas here?

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: installer no longer signals success or offer reboot
@ 2020-06-14 16:09     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2020-06-14 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> I feel a bit stuck here, I cannot find an alternative to overlayfs and
> on the other hand umounting the overlay is problematic.
>
> Do people have some ideas here?

Ok, this should be fixed with: 876a8d987085b8c64f32c8a320e4219575af285c.

Thanks,

Mathieu