unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Flagging gexps that import (guix config) & co.
@ 2020-11-06 13:07 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-11-06 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Yesterday I noticed that some of our system tests would be
non-deterministic in the sense that their .drv file name would differ
from machine to machine.  The .drv computed at ci.guix.gnu.org for a
given test was different from that I had on my machine.

This is not the first time we see it: it was due to services or tests
importing the host’s (guix config) module or (ice-9 …) modules on the
build side.  Since those modules can vary between users, importing them
leads to discrepancies like that.

(guix gexp) now emits a warning when these modules are imported:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=ca465a9c8454289b7aded22719cd5d919e441780

I thought it shouldn’t be an error because it’s a matter of policy.
It looks like this:

  gnu/services/monitoring.scm:398:4: warning: importing module (ice-9 rdelim) from the host

where the line and column indicate the start of the gexp importing the
module(s).

Having done that, I fixed a few services and tests.  Now one can again run:

  ./pre-inst-env guix weather -m etc/system-tests.scm --display-missing

to quickly see what fraction of the system tests is successful on
ci.guix.gnu.org.

Ludo’.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-11-06 13:08 UTC | newest]