Ryan Prior writes: > On November 11, 2020, Jan Wielkiewicz > wrote: >> [web browsers are] a really poorly designed copy of >> operating systems and its utilities. >> >> [...] >> >> I just don't understand why in the web browser. >> I'll try it. > > The web browser is the primary operating environment for a lot of > people. Just as Emacs users built web browsers, terminal emulators, and > mail clients on the Emacs platform, the web platform also has all those > things (including various elaborate in-browser code editors.) So I > understand this as having the exact same genesis as the Guix interface > in Emacs: people would like to manage their operating system using the > interface they spend most of their time in, and for Nyxt power users > that would be their browser. I'm not at all interested in managing my > Guix packages using Nyxt, which is highly correlated to my not being a > Nyxt power user. Exactly :) To add to what Ryan said, Nyxt has a interesting design feature: it does not need to depend on a web browser! Nyxt is rather a "Common Lisp interactive framework" and it would be perfectly possible to implement a textual interface à-la Emacs. Of course, web page rendering would be much more limited though. I'd like to work on a pure GTK (or ) version of Nyxt at some point. -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/