unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Working Guix on 64 bit PowerPC.
@ 2020-11-10 19:56 Tobias Platen
From: Tobias Platen @ 2020-11-10 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: efraim; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

I've got the wip-ppc branch of Guix compiling unmodified on my Talos II.
Since the POWER9 is backwards compatible with the PowerPC G4, it can run
the existing bootstrap binaries for powerpc-linux. The binaries from
http://flashner.co.il/guix/bootstrap/powerpc-linux/ have been verified
working on my Talos II. I also plan to setup a mirror of those binaries.

[user@staticvoid guix]$ arch
ppc64
[user@staticvoid guix]$ ps -A | grep guix
 1104 pts/1    00:00:00 guix-daemon
[user@staticvoid guix]$ ./pre-inst-env guix build hello
guix build: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'tar' for system 'powerpc64-linux'
[user@staticvoid guix]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
cpu		: POWER9, altivec supported
clock		: 2154.000000MHz
revision	: 2.2 (pvr 004e 1202)

--
Tobias Platen <guix@platen-software.de>

* Re: Working Guix on 64 bit PowerPC.
@ 2020-11-10 20:54 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-11-10 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 08:56:21PM +0100, Tobias Platen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got the wip-ppc branch of Guix compiling unmodified on my Talos II.
> Since the POWER9 is backwards compatible with the PowerPC G4, it can run
> the existing bootstrap binaries for powerpc-linux. The binaries from
> http://flashner.co.il/guix/bootstrap/powerpc-linux/ have been verified
> working on my Talos II. I also plan to setup a mirror of those binaries.
>
> [user@staticvoid guix]$ arch
> ppc64
> [user@staticvoid guix]$ ps -A | grep guix
>  1104 pts/1    00:00:00 guix-daemon
> [user@staticvoid guix]$ ./pre-inst-env guix build hello
> guix build: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'tar' for system 'powerpc64-linux'
> [user@staticvoid guix]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor	: 0
> cpu		: POWER9, altivec supported
> clock		: 2154.000000MHz
> revision	: 2.2 (pvr 004e 1202)

I found that once I rebased on core-updates it stopped building as
nicely. I don't remember where the failure was, but it was somewhere in
commencement.scm.

I am really glad to hear that it worked :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Working Guix on 64 bit PowerPC.
@ 2020-11-12 20:56 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-11-12 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Tobias Platen <guix@platen-software.de> skribis:

> I've got the wip-ppc branch of Guix compiling unmodified on my Talos II.
> Since the POWER9 is backwards compatible with the PowerPC G4, it can run
> the existing bootstrap binaries for powerpc-linux. The binaries from
> http://flashner.co.il/guix/bootstrap/powerpc-linux/ have been verified
> working on my Talos II. I also plan to setup a mirror of those binaries.
>
> [user@staticvoid guix]$ arch
> ppc64
> [user@staticvoid guix]$ ps -A | grep guix
>  1104 pts/1    00:00:00 guix-daemon
> [user@staticvoid guix]$ ./pre-inst-env guix build hello
> guix build: error: could not find bootstrap binary 'tar' for system 'powerpc64-linux'

To address that, you can hack ‘bootstrap-executable’ in
gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm so that it uses “powerpc-linux” when it’s on
“powerpc64-linux” (similar to what’s done for x86_64-linux).

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: Working Guix on 64 bit PowerPC.
@ 2020-11-15 12:39 ` Efraim Flashner