unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
To: raid5atemyhomework <raid5atemyhomework@protonmail.com>
Cc: "guix-devel@gnu.org" <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: A Critique of Shepherd Design
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 00:02:36 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi,

raid5atemyhomework <raid5atemyhomework@protonmail.com> writes:

> GNU Shepherd is the `init` system used by GNU Guix.  It features:
>
> * A rich full Scheme language to describe actions.
> * A simple core that is easy to maintain.
>
> However, in this critique, I contend that these features are bugs.
>
> The Shepherd language for describing actions on Shepherd daemons is a
> Turing-complete Guile language.  Turing completeness runs afoul of the
> Principle of Least Power.  In principle, all that actions have to do
> is invoke `exec`, `fork`, `kill`, and `waitpid` syscalls.  Yet the
> language is a full Turing-complete language, including the major
> weakness of Turing-completeness: the inability to solve the halting
> problem.
>
> The fact that the halting problem is unsolved in the language means it
> is possible to trivially write an infinite loop in the language.  In
> the context of an `init` system, the possibility of an infinite loop
> is dangerous, as it means the system may never complete bootup.
>
> Now, let us combine this with the second feature (really a bug): GNU
> shepherd is a simple, single-threaded Scheme program.  That means that
> if the single thread enters an infinite loop (because of a Shepherd
> service description that entered an infinite loop), then Shepherd
> itself hangs.  This means that the system is severely broken.  You
> cannot `sudo reboot` because that communicates with the Shepherd
> daemon.  You cannot even `kill 1` because signals are handled in the
> mainloop, which never get entered if the `start` action of some
> Shepherd daemon managed to enter an infinite loop.
>
> I have experienced this firsthand since I wrote a Shepherd service to
> launch a daemon, and I needed to wait for the daemon initialization to
> complete.  My implementation of this had a bug that caused an infinite
> loop to be entered, but would only tickle this bug when a very
> particular (persistent on-disk) state existed.  I wrote this code
> about a month or so ago, and never got to test it until last week,
> when the bug was tickled.  Unfortunately, by then I had removed older
> system versions that predated the bug.  When I looked at a backup copy
> of the `configuration.scm`, I discovered the bug soon afterwards.  But
> the amount of code verbiage needed here had apparently overwhelmed me
> at the time I wrote the code to do the waiting, and the bug got into
> the code and broke my system.  I had to completely reinstall Guix
> (fortunately the backup copy of `configuration.scm` was helpful in
> recovering most of the system, also ZFS rocks).
>
> Yes, I made a mistake.  I'm only human.  It should be easy to recover
> from mistakes.  The full Turing-completeness of the language invites
> mistakes, and the single-threadedness makes the infinite-loop mistakes
> that Turing-completeness invites, into catastrophic system breakages.
>
> So what can we do?
>
> For one, a Turing-complete language is a strict *superset* of
> non-Turing-complete languages.  So one thing we can do is to define a
> [...]

Thanks for the well written critique.  Turing-completeness is a two
edged sword; with great power comes great responsibility :-).  The same
could be said of our use of Guile for writing package definitions, but
in a context where mistakes are easier to catch.

Your proposal is also interesting... I'm not sure if I like it yet but
I'll keep thinking about it.  The reason I'm somewhat reluctant is for
the same reason I think using Guile to write package definitions is
great: maximum expressiveness and flexibility.  If we were to try and
start restricting that core feature, it wouldn't really be Shepherd
anymore.  Other init systems such as systemd keep their descriptive
language minimal but accommodate running pre or post actions (typically
scripts) very easily (but with restrictions about how long they can run
in the case of systemd IIRC).

Thanks for having shared your analysis!

Maxim