unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* image derivation for deploy
@ 2022-08-14 22:14 Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-08-14 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey all!

I'm working on a Guile module that should help with deploying to Linode
(and probably other hosting providers) and the plan is to build a disk
image that can be booted and used as an SSH deploy target.

So far the upload and configuration part works and the VM boots, but the
image has to be generated manually.

Does anyone have some pointers for generating it as a gexp, or any
pitfalls I should be aware of?

The code currently lives in my deploy config which is not in a public
repo, but I'd like to move it into Guix proper soon.  If someone wants
to take a look I can upload it somewhere.

* Re: image derivation for deploy
@ 2022-08-15  0:11 ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2022-08-15  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Csepp,

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

> I'm working on a Guile module that should help with deploying to Linode
> If someone wants
> to take a look I can upload it somewhere.

Thank you for that work! I use Guix on Linode as well as another
provider and would be happy to take a look.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

* Re: image derivation for deploy
@ 2022-08-15 10:38   ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-08-15 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: guix-devel

Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Csepp,
>
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on a Guile module that should help with deploying to Linode
>> If someone wants
>> to take a look I can upload it somewhere.
>
> Thank you for that work! I use Guix on Linode as well as another
> provider and would be happy to take a look.
>
> Kind regards
> Felix Lechner

This is the current version from my config repo:
https://paste.sr.ht/~raingloom/56775fa4dd042739297e3c3c9eb63ad81b127de6

I'll move it to a branch on my Guix repo today.

* Re: image derivation for deploy
@ 2022-08-15 19:16     ` muradm
From: muradm @ 2022-08-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: Felix Lechner, guix-devel

Hi, I'm also using Guix on few of my Linodes.

In my backlog I have an item which says:
- implement Linode API in guile

So basically I would prefer seeing such integration
via Linode API directly from Guile, instead of using
linode-cli.

muradm

Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

> Felix Lechner via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
> distribution." <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Csepp,
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm working on a Guile module that should help with deploying
>>> to Linode
>>> If someone wants
>>> to take a look I can upload it somewhere.
>>
>> Thank you for that work! I use Guix on Linode as well as
>> another
>> provider and would be happy to take a look.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Felix Lechner
>
> This is the current version from my config repo:
> https://paste.sr.ht/~raingloom/56775fa4dd042739297e3c3c9eb63ad81b127de6
>
> I'll move it to a branch on my Guix repo today.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: image derivation for deploy
@ 2022-08-15 21:24       ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-08-15 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: muradm; +Cc: Csepp, Felix Lechner, guix-devel

muradm <mail@muradm.net> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>
> Hi, I'm also using Guix on few of my Linodes.
>
> In my backlog I have an item which says:
> - implement Linode API in guile
>
> So basically I would prefer seeing such integration
> via Linode API directly from Guile, instead of using
> linode-cli.
>
> muradm

Personally, I'm not keen on implementing an OpenAPI compiler, but if
someone (maybe you?) is up for it, they can.

For this project, it's too much effort for not much benefit.