unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
To: Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk>, Wojtek Kosior <koszko@koszko.org>
Cc: Philip McGrath <philip@philipmcgrath.com>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: RFC: libgit2 is slow/inefficient; switch to git command?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:57:55 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 at 21:15, Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:

> Just to add mine too - libgit2 behaves differently to command-line git
> in ways which can make guix do unexpected things when caching clones in
> certain cases.  This has resulted in some hard to diagnose issues with
> using guix to build PRs for example.

[...]

> An explanation of why, was raised with libgit2:
> https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/issues/6183

To avoid people to follow various links, this issue #6183 is another
manifestation of issue #3361 (still open since Aug 6, 2015).  Quoting:

        Git has recently changed the refspec matching rules to allow
        refspecs such as

            refs/heads/o*:refs/remotes/heads/i*

        We still perform checks using the old rules by which the glob
        must always match a full path element.

        https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/issues/3361

However, pleas note that only 3 issues with the tag ’git compatibility’
are currently open [1]–well three when 2 are related.

1: <https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/labels/git%20compatibility>

Cheers,
simon