unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Flag day for simplified package inputs
@ 2021-11-19 15:11 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-11-19 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hello Guix!

As a reminder, the plan I proposed¹ is to have a “flag day” shortly
before ‘core-updates-frozen’ is merged into ‘master’ when we would run
‘guix style’ on the whole repo, thereby removing input labels from most
packages.

Doing that before merging will (1) let us ensure there are no rebuilds
or, if rebuilds need to happen, that they’ll take place before the
merge, and (2) reduce chances of merge conflicts.

(‘guix style’ by default changes packages in a way that does not trigger
a rebuild; ‘guix style --input-simplification=safe’, which we may also
want to run, can trigger rebuilds.)

If everything goes well, this could happen in a few days.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

¹ https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49169#16