unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* ocaml - how can we get more recent version of core-kernel and common ppx'es
@ 2021-05-18  6:21 Erik
From: Erik @ 2021-05-18  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi, I have a project that requires a more recent core-kernel and some of
the ppx'es (such as ppx_fields_conv).

Being very new to guix I've managed to add/update packages for python
and ruby stuff, but this ocaml.scm file is quite different. There's a
lot going on which I'm guessing is related to complexities arising from
the whole ppx transition that happened in the ocaml ecosystem a few
years ago, or perhaps just to the somewhat unsynchronized way libraries
move to new versions of the compiler and libs (just speculating here).

Anyway afaict (with my limited guix-fu) I would either need to duplicate
a whole lot of packages or somehow reorganize things to share
definitions where it makes sense. Both those options would require some
coordination with the people who made the ocaml.scm infrastructure
first, because clearly there are projects out there that need the
current set of packages to work like they do now and I don't want to
just post a huge patch that surprises these people.

Can we get a thread going somewhere on adding a recent version of
ocaml-core-kernel (for the 4.11.1 ocaml package, possibly bumping that
to 4.11.2 in the process)?

Best regards,
Erik Lovlie

* [bug#47768] ocaml - how can we get more recent version of core-kernel and common ppx'es
@ 2021-05-18 20:29 ` pukkamustard
From: pukkamustard @ 2021-05-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik; +Cc: guix-devel, 47768

Hi Erik,

There has been some work towards updating the OCaml packages in
Guix (see https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47768).

A lot of packages have been updated so that there is a now an
updated ocaml-X package for a previously existing ocaml4.07-X
package. This includes a lot of ppx'es. However not everything has
been updated yet and there are still a few packages missing to be
able to update ocaml-core-kernel. But maybe you could use the
#47768 as a basis and update some packages towards
ocaml-core-kernel?

Help is also required in reviewing the patches. The series has
become quite large and hard to review (42 patches). If you could
try them out that would be great.

-pukkamustard

@ 2021-05-18 20:58   ` erikl
From: erikl @ 2021-05-18 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pukkamustard; +Cc: guix-devel, 47768

Great, this is exactly what I was hoping to find! I had of course forgotten to search the debbugs and in the devel mailing list there were only really old threads about the 4.07 stuff.

Thanks for your work here, I will test your patches and let you know :)

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2021-05-29 22:01   ` Erik
From: Erik @ 2021-05-29 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pukkamustard; +Cc: guix-devel, 47768

I have now applied the patches locally and tested a handful of the
updated packages, and things appear to be working fine for me. Thanks a
lot for doing this!

What is the process for getting these patches commited to master? Do we
need someone to test that the patches didn't break any existing package?

/Erik