unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
@ 2022-10-18 16:59 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-10-18 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, guix-europe

Hi,

As the winter, FOSDEM 2023 is coming…

    https://fosdem.org/2023

Three questions:

 1. do we run for a booth?
 2. who is in?
 3. who is volunteer to make that happens?

Well, #1 is a good opportunity to expose the beautiful kakemodo [1]. :-)

If we go for a booth and if we are accepted, it means we need volunteers
at this booth.  A week-end is quick and also long.  More we are and
greater the experience would be. :-) Volunteer for #2 does not mean be
available the full week-end – although that’s also a possibility –
instead, it could mean some rotation of 1-2h at the booth.

About #3, it means checking the FOSDEM website and helping in the
synchronization of the proposal, stickers, etc.

WDYT?  It will still the 10th Years of Guix – day 1 of calendar “year“
is arbitrary. ;-)

1: <https://toot.aquilenet.fr/system/media_attachments/files/108/952/529/608/289/196/original/408d90899aa75100.jpg>

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
@ 2022-10-20 13:09 ` Ludovic Courtès
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-10-20 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-europe, Julien Lepiller

Hello!

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> As the winter, FOSDEM 2023 is coming…
>
>     https://fosdem.org/2023
>

> Three questions:
>
>  1. do we run for a booth?
>  2. who is in?
>  3. who is volunteer to make that happens?

Having a booth can be a way to have informal conversations with folks
who are curious about Guix or haven’t heard about it before.

IIRC, Julien was responsible for a booth at FOSDEM for Linux From
Scratch some years ago, so maybe they can share their experience?

For this to be viable, I suppose there needs to be about at the very
least 4 people (that’d still be half a day each!).  However,
pre-pandemic, there would usually be somewhere between 20 and 40 Guix
people joining, so I’m sure 10 of us or so could take care of the booth
for a couple of hours.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
@ 2022-10-20 14:44 ` Jonathan Brielmaier
From: Jonathan Brielmaier @ 2022-10-20 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, guix-europe

On 18.10.22 18:59, zimoun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As the winter, FOSDEM 2023 is coming…
>
>      https://fosdem.org/2023
>

> Three questions:
>
>   1. do we run for a booth?
>   2. who is in?
>   3. who is volunteer to make that happens?

Count me in as volunteer for the booth. I'll can help from Friday
afternoon until sunday afternoon/evening.

~Jonathan

* Re: Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
@ 2022-10-20 16:18   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-10-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Jonathan Brielmaier, guix-europe

I'll be happy to help!

From my experience with LFS it's important to have enough to share with people. We had stickers (obviously), and also bookmarks and even printed versions of the book. Even with three people we could manage the stand, but the more we are, the easier it becomes. Remember you have to attend the devroom too!

We had issues managing stocks of stickers. Having too many displayed at once will incentivise people to take a huge pile to share with friends at home, but it also means the stocks deplete quickly :)

One nice thing to have is also a table cloth with our logo/graphics. Some distros have live-CDs.

I can take care of ordering that, stickers and anything else if I get reimbursed. I can't come up with nice graphics by myself though, so please share any ideas :)

@ 2022-10-20 17:36   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-10-20 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-europe, Julien Lepiller

Hi Julien,

> IIRC, Julien was responsible for a booth at FOSDEM for Linux From
> Scratch some years ago, so maybe they can share their experience?

I am a bit lost with FOSDEM website, news and deadline.  How does it
work to ask for a booth?

@ 2022-10-20 22:15     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-10-20 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-europe

Deadline for stands is November 15th. Quoting the website:

FOSDEM 2023 stands call for proposals

Back after two virtual editions, FOSDEM 2023 will take place at the ULB on the 4th and 5th of February 2023. As has become traditional, we offer free and open source projects a stand to display their work “in real life” to the audience. You can share information, demo software, interact with your users and developers, give away goodies, sell merchandise or accept donations. All is possible!

We offer you:

One table (180x80cm) with a set of chairs and a power socket.

Fast wireless internet access.

A spot on stands.fosdem.org.

You can choose if you want the spot for the entire conference, or simply for one day. Joint submissions (sharing a table) will be favoured in the process.

Submit your application at stands.fosdem.org/submission! Deadline closes the 15th of November; accepted stands will be announced the 1st of December.

@ 2022-10-21 16:44     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2022-10-21 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel, Jonathan Brielmaier, guix-europe

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> I'll be happy to help!
>
> From my experience with LFS it's important to have enough to share with people. We had stickers (obviously), and also
> bookmarks and even printed versions of the book. Even with three people we could manage the stand, but the more we are,
> the easier it becomes. Remember you have to attend the devroom too!
>
> We had issues managing stocks of stickers. Having too many displayed at once will incentivise people to take a huge pile to
> share with friends at home, but it also means the stocks deplete quickly :)
>
> One nice thing to have is also a table cloth with our logo/graphics. Some distros have live-CDs.
>
> I can take care of ordering that, stickers and anything else if I get reimbursed. I can't come up with nice graphics by myself
> though, so please share any ideas :)

Error in the finalization thread:

Success.

* Re: Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
@ 2022-10-22  3:09       ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2022-10-22  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson
  Cc: Julien Lepiller, Jonathan Brielmaier, guix-europe, guix-devel

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 12:44 PM, Joshua Branson wrote:

> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:
>
>> I'll be happy to help!
>>
>> From my experience with LFS it's important to have enough to share with people. We had
>> stickers (obviously), and also
>> bookmarks and even printed versions of the book. Even with three people we could manage
>> the stand, but the more we are,
>> the easier it becomes. Remember you have to attend the devroom too!
>>
>> We had issues managing stocks of stickers. Having too many displayed at once will
>> incentivise people to take a huge pile to
>> share with friends at home, but it also means the stocks deplete quickly :)
>>
>> One nice thing to have is also a table cloth with our logo/graphics. Some distros have
>> live-CDs.
>>
>> I can take care of ordering that, stickers and anything else if I get reimbursed. I
>> can't come up with nice graphics by myself
>> though, so please share any ideas :)
>>

> Error in the finalization thread:
>
> Success.

There was talk on #guix about T-shirts... :-)

* Re: Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
@ 2022-10-22  8:02 ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2022-10-22  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, guix-devel, guix-europe

Hi everyone,

>  1. do we run for a booth?
>  2. who is in?

I can be there and help on Saturday and Sunday!

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret

* Re: Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-11-15 15:18 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-11-15 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, guix-europe

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Oct 2022 at 18:59, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> As the winter, FOSDEM 2023 is coming…
>
>     https://fosdem.org/2023

As you may know, the devroom [1] on Declarative and Minimalistic
Computing at FOSDEM 2023 is on the road.  Keep in touch about Guix Days…

About a Guix stand at FOSDEM:

>  1. do we run for a booth?

I sent the application.  Wait and see…

>  2. who is in?

For now, volunteers are:

 + Jonathan
 + Julien
 + Josselin
 + Simon

As you see, even if your name does not start with a ’J’, you can be
volunteer. ;-)

In all cases, see you at FOSDEM 2023!

Cheers,
simon

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/f9a0548c-0f5e-ff05-43cc-f0d8c036a9c4@gmail.com>

* Re: Booth at FOSDEM (Brussels), 4-5 Feb 2023?
@ 2022-12-09 17:48   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-12-09 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, guix-europe

Hi,

We do NOT have a stand at FOSDEM 2023.  We are not listed in:

    https://fosdem.org/2023/news/2022-12-08-accepted-stands-fosdem-2023/

if I read correctly, although I did not received any email.

Thanks to everyone who offered to spend their time at the stand.  Maybe
next year!

See you at the Guix Days right before FOSDEM:

    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-12/msg00100.html
    https://libreplanet.org/wiki/FOSDEM2023-guix-days

Cheers,
simon

PS: The Guix project had also been refused back in 2019 [1].

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/20181122232828.3db9e337@alma-ubu>