unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Mumi, public-inbox and tools
@ 2022-05-02 18:10 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-05-02 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, Kyle Meyer

Hi,

Recently, we discussed [1] in «public-inbox/elfeed -> Maildir bridge
(was: Incentives for review)» some tips to ease the workflow dealing
with the various lists and their volume.

Kyle wrote some Emacs glue around public-inbox, named piem [2].

One cool feature exposed by Kyle in [1] is being able to inject the
complete thread to a Maildir.

For instead, let configure piem with just:

(setq
 piem-inboxes '(("guix-bugs"
                  :url "https://yhetil.org/guix-bugs/"
                  :maildir "/tmp/mail/guix-bugs"
                  )
                ("guix-patches"
                  :url "https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/"
                  :maildir "/tmp/mail/guix-patches"
                  )))
(add-hook 'eww-mode-hook #'piem-eww-mode)

then, let create the maildirs:

    mkdir -p /tmp/mail/guix-{bugs,patches}/{new,cur,tmp}

Last, just search for a number id:

    M-x eww
    https://yhetil.org/guix-patches/?q=a:39258

then click to one, and

    M-x piem-inject-thread-into-maildir

paf!  The 126 messages of the patch submission #39258 are now in my
local maildir and I can read them using my favorite mail reader; say
Emacs-notmuch. ;-)

It completely replace my usage of the Debian scripts ’bts’ and
’mailscripts’.  Neat!  Because it was Perl… :-)

The issue is that it is going via a public-inbox query [4]:

    a:       match within the To, Cc, and From headers

where it could be nice to directly use Mumi with:

    M-x eww
    http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39258

However, then ’piem-inject-thread-into-maildir’ cannot find the
Message-ID even if many are visible:

Arun Isaac wrote on 23 Jan 2020 20:51
SVG Image
Recipients:(address . guix-patches@gnu.org)
Message-ID:cu7pnfaar36.fsf@systemreboot.net

Well, it could be nice if I could hook and directly import to my local
maildir the thread.

WDYT?  What is missing to bridge the current features of Mumi via
issues.guix.gnu.org, of public-inbox via yhetil.org/guix and the piem
glue?

It could be nice to:

 1. run “guix issues 12345” and get back something ready (as mbox or
 maildir) to go to a mail reader, or pipe to Git maybe.

 2. integrate such to Emacs-Guix.

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/87a6izsoio.fsf@kyleam.com/>
2: <https://git.kyleam.com/piem/>
3: <https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/Injecting-messages-into-a-Maildir-directory.html>