unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Did nmap just become non-free?
@ 2020-10-14  0:00 Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-10-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I updated the nmap license in 2323a7120a0f3ed96fedfff42e86c0aee97995c0.
Admittedly I had only skimmed through the text, which is "based on GPL2"
and "believed to be compliant with the 'Open Source Definition'", but
after a closer read of the annotated version:

  https://nmap.org/npsl/npsl-annotated.html

...which states:

  Proprietary vendors: This license does not allow you to redistribute
  Nmap source code or the executable for use with your software (stand
  alone or on an appliance).

...I'm fairly certain this is not an acceptable license for Guix, or
free software distributions in general.

So I think we should revert the license change, as well as the update
to 7.90 which introduced the new license.

Now to read the previous license text, perhaps that will help me sleep..