unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Update on automating testing of patches and qa.guix.gnu.org
@ 2022-11-05 11:24 Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2022-11-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey!

I last emailed guix-devel on this topic back in September:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-09/msg00054.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-09/msg00159.html

Along with some general improvements and fixes, the following things
might be interesting:

 - There are now some bigger badges for the overall status of patch
   issues, thanks Arun!

 - The sort order for the patches page should now be more useful

 - The creation of the patch branches is now handled here (rather than
   through scripts run by Laminar)

 - There is a mailto link on the issue page to toggle the moreinfo
   status, thanks Efraim for the idea!

 - The issue page has a "review checklist". I based this off of
   something Arun suggested for Mumi. The form doesn't do anything, I'm
   just using it as a reminder of things to check when reviewing
   patches.

In terms of next steps:

 - I'm still looking to move this repository on to Savannah, my initial
   attempt failed, so I'm not sure how to do this.

 - Currently it's hard to distinguish "Unknown" builds in to builds
   where some dependency has failed, and builds which just haven't
   happened yet. I'm going to try and change the Guix Data Service to
   provide information on blocking builds in the comparison.

 - For more things, see the README
   https://git.cbaines.net/guix/qa-frontpage/about/

I'm finding this really useful to highlight simple patches which have
had some testing done automatically. I'd encourage others who are
interested in merging patches to try looking at the patches showing up
as green, as hopefully they're in a good state. If there's any which
aren't (e.g. needs some changes or more discussion), you can mark it as
moreinfo to push it down the list (there's a link on the right to do
this).

Do let me know if you have any comments or questions! This should be
easy to hack on as well, and I'm happy to try and help.

Thanks,

Chris