On Friday, May 19, 2023 6:10:53 PM EDT Vagrant Cascadian wrote: > Philip McGrath recently pointed out that the /etc/profile.d/guix.sh > snippet had not been updating in the Guix packaging for Debian: > > https://bugs.debian.org/1036304 > > (and as bonus complication, was also renamed to zzz-guix.sh) > > The reason I never noticed before is because it is actually a manual > process, with this script embedded in the sys_create_init_profile() > function of etc/guix-install.sh ... and thus easy to miss when updating > packaging. > > What would be the impact of separating the /etc/profile.d/zzz-guix.sh > into a separate file upstream? Would guix-install.sh need to be adjusted > to guix-install.sh.in so as to embed the contents of this file? > I think this would also make it easier for Guix contributors to edit the file. When I sent a patch for it, Ludo’ and I both got to learn about the obscure feature of Bash here documents it uses: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56050#11 Ludo’s informal poll results suggest that others would be confused, too: https://toot.aquilenet.fr/@civodul/108590952454715930 > Alternately, maybe guix-install.sh could be updated to optionally output > or generate the zzz-guix.sh file either by passing commandline arguments > or some other conditional mechanism? > One reason I use Vagrant's packaging for Debian is that otherwise, Guix has no mechanism at all for updating the /etc/profile.d/ script, the default authorized substitute keys, etc. That's not exactly the same problem, but a solution that works well for downstream packagers seems like it make updates for other users an easier problem to address. Philip