Hi Ricardo, El 12/10/23 a las 12:28, Ricardo Wurmus escribió: > Hi, > >> 2018-01-17 · website: say what Guix is at the very top >> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-01/msg00232.html > Hey, that’s me! Naturally, I do agree that we need clearer product > differentiation and your drafts are pretty and clear as always. Glad to hear that. > On the other hand I’ve always felt that the term “package manager” is so > limiting. It primes people to expect a package manager, but none of > the features in the “guix system” family of commands match that. > Likewise, all that container stuff we do with “guix shell -C” lies just > outside of what one would think of when hearing “package manager”. Right. I agree. > In my presentations I try to drive home the point that Guix is a > solution for reproducible deployment at every level of scale. I have a > set of slides similar to the “Reproducible Outputs” section in your > home-page.pdf, going from package to environments to containers to > systems to sites (via “guix deploy”). Yeah, I've watched your presentations. I used "FOSDEM 2019 GWL: GNU Workflow Language" as one of my references; any similarity to actual slides is no coincidence :) > I wonder if we should find a way to phase out the use of the term > “package manager”, which seems to fire the wrong synapses and awaken > associations with things that aren’t at all like Guix. As with product renaming, I also avoided changing the purpose of Guix in the proposal to reduce resistance to big changes, but I was tempted to. Maybe this is a good time for redefining Guix as well.