unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Using arch for kernel config file breaks kernel builds
@ 2016-09-14  9:17 Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama @ 2016-09-14  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi guys,

seems a commit yesterday (c258807a) broke kernel compilation on
i686. When searching for kernel configuration file,
system->linux-architecture reduces i686 to i386, but no matching
configuration file exists.

I see two options:
config files for, say, i386 and i686).
2) rename all i686 config files to i386.

In any case, current HEAD does not build 32-bit x86 kernels. I have
renamed config file ti -i386 in my local copy to be able to build.

BR

Carlos

--
'Common misconception that; than fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it
right.'

Iain M. Banks, "The Player of Games" (1988)

* Re: Using arch for kernel config file breaks kernel builds
@ 2016-09-14 20:54 ` David Craven
From: David Craven @ 2016-09-14 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama; +Cc: guix-devel

> seems a commit yesterday (c258807a) broke kernel compilation on
> i686. When searching for kernel configuration file,
> system->linux-architecture reduces i686 to i386, but no matching
> configuration file exists.

Sorry about that. Thank you for reporting the issue.

> I see two options:
> config files for, say, i386 and i686).

Sounds good - kernel-config should take a system instead of an arch,
since we are really interested in getting a configuration for the guix
system and the ARCH that linux-libre uses is an implementation detail.

One difficulty that arises is that %current-target-system is a target
triplet and not a guix system. I don't like adding more special casing
like a (target-triplet->system) function - but we may have to... I'll
fix this tomorrow morning.