TBC, did you see my previous mail about cherry-picking and power assymetry. > FWIW, I think that adopting a different (more stringent) license > policy hits two issues: > > 1. Where do you draw the line? Based on which concrete principles > to decide for this or for that? I would like to refer to some blog article about something along the lines ’free software is not about licenses, but about ???’, but I cannot find it anymore. zimoun schreef op vr 17-06-2022 om 11:06 [+0200]: >  I think it is not affordable to adopt a different license policy than >  the one listed by the GNU project [2].  It is a pragmatical line >  because the Guix project does not have the manpower nor the structure >  to do differently. > > And I miss what aim it would serve. That page mentions: > We classify> license according to certain criteria: > [...] > * Whether it causes any particular practical problems. > [...] Being forced to go to the US as a defendant seems like a very practical problem to me. E.g., apparently being imprisoned for 5 years or being fined for $250 000 or such is a thing in the US[0], and the prison situation in the US is reportedly bad. The clause is also rather extra-territorial: what if $local_country reforms copyright to make all sofware free, if we accepted ‘go to this jurisdiction clauses’, then opponents could effectively block the legally-enforced freeing of software by adding such a clause. Such a clause could potentially also be used to enforce a particular jurisdiction that has forbidden modifying otherwise free software entirely or somehting. [0] https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-1852-copyright-infringement-penalties-17-usc-506a-and-18-usc-2319 > 2. The GNU project is already strict on what is accepted; for good > reasons. The Guix project is a niche and being more stringent would > lead to be an even more niche. Not being subject to the US seems worth some extra niche-ness to this non-US person. Also: > I think it is not affordable to adopt a different license policy > than the one listed by the GNU project [2]. It is a pragmatical > line because the Guix project does not have the manpower nor the > structure to do differently. ... currently Guix isn't using the APSL2.0 anywhere (according to git grep -F aspl), so it seems quite practical and effortless to just remove apsl2 from (guix licenses). Greetings, Maxime.