zimoun schreef op do 02-06-2022 om 09:25 [+0200]: > On Wed, 01 Jun 2022 at 22:30, Maxime Devos wrote: > > > > (from [0]) > > > Sunsetting Python 2 > > > [...] > > > We did not want to hurt the people using Python 2. So, in 2008, we > > > announced that we would sunset Python 2 in 2015, > > > > This is a 5 year grace period, which is already a lot of weeks. > > Futhermore, this has even been extended for five additional years: > > Following this argument, the question is therefore: why Python 2 > packages had been included in Guix in the first place since most > inclusions had already been post this grace period? :-) I didn't know that. I guess we should have said back then ‘no adding new python2 packages because of the grace period, only updates’ and announced and documented the policy? (assuming this argument) > I personally do not follow all the upstream code that I run. I trust > the distro for that. I guess most people follow distro news for most > of the things they basically run and install from their disto. [...] > By doing sudden transition, we appear abrupt as a distro and the > message between the lines is «Guix is not reliable as a distro». All > such big transition is difficult whatever the distro [1,2,3]. The > aim of a distro is to smooth user transition, IMHO, which means > communicate explicitly for preparing. I agree that it is a sudden transition for a user that does not follow upstream news and that it only is a smooth transition for people in the know. It's a bit a matter of perspective I guess? Agreed with more explicit communication. And maybe Guix could have done more, e.g. by helping upstream with porting to python3. Greetings, Maxime.