On 09-08-2022 21:08, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote: >>>> On 06-08-2022 08:55, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>>> +If your package has a bug that takes multiple lines to fix, >>>> I don't think this is true for replacing all instances of "foo" >>>> by >>>> "/gnu/store/.../bin/foo" in a file. >>> Should it? >> I don't think so. Directly substituting all the instances instead of >> first writing a patch that does "foo" -> "@foo@" or such seems >> simpler to me.  This might be a bit too nit-picky though, maybe it's >> clear from context that this is not the kind of fix meant by that >> line. > I'm struggling to see the issue here. For starters, it doesn't take > multiple lines to embed a store path, the change usually happens on a > single line. Of course, translating this into a substitute*, you > expand this single line into multiple ones, but that's not what is > meant here. I was thinking of files that contain multiple instances of "foo" (usually on multiple lines) to be replaced by "/gnu/store/.../bin/foo", not files were a "foo bar" was broken over multiple lines and it needs to be replaced by "/gnu/store/.../bin/foo bar". At least for the former, I don't think an intermediate "@foo@" is useful (with some exceptions, when a pattern match would catch too much). The latter could in principle happen, but it doesn't seem to happen in practice. Greetings, Maxime.