unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [DOUBT]: native-search-paths VS search-paths
@ 2021-02-09  8:58 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2021-02-09  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

In the package-reference, there are fields called native-search-paths
and search-paths. Unfortunately, the corresponding page
(https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/package-Reference.html) in the
manual doesn't explain much. In my experience of packaging I could
understand vaguely about them. I would like to know more. :-)

[1] What are they?
[2] What are the differences between them?
[3] When to use one or the other or both?

Thank you!

Regards,

@ 2021-02-09  9:32 Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-02-09  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rg; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Both search-paths and native-search-paths are expanded in a build
environment to form an environment variable.  search-paths works on
inputs whereas native-search-paths works on native-inputs.  In
addition, native-search-paths also end up in your
$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile.

Regards,
Leo

* Re: [DOUBT]: native-search-paths VS search-paths
@ 2021-02-09  9:56 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2021-02-09  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler; +Cc: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 488 bytes --]

Hi Leo!

> Both search-paths and native-search-paths are expanded in a build
> environment to form an environment variable.  search-paths works on
> inputs whereas native-search-paths works on native-inputs.  In
> addition, native-search-paths also end up in your
> $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile.

So it is like how "PATH" is established inside build environment?

Also, are they useful only to the package itself or to other packages
that depend on it as well?

Regards,
RG.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP_0x5F5816647F8BE551.asc --]

* Re: [DOUBT]: native-search-paths VS search-paths
@ 2021-02-09 10:06   ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-02-09 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: guix-devel

Am Dienstag, den 09.02.2021, 04:56 -0500 schrieb Raghav Gururajan:
> Hi Leo!
>
> > Both search-paths and native-search-paths are expanded in a build
> > environment to form an environment variable.  search-paths works on
> > inputs whereas native-search-paths works on native-inputs.  In
> > addition, native-search-paths also end up in your
> > $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile.
>
> So it is like how "PATH" is established inside build environment?
>
> Also, are they useful only to the package itself or to other
> packages
> that depend on it as well?
Depends on the package.  If it gets propagated into the build
environment, the variable is set as well.  At other times, it might be
set through the wrap phase for runtime purposes.

@ 2021-02-09 10:15     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2021-02-09 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler; +Cc: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 753 bytes --]

Hi Leo!

>>> Both search-paths and native-search-paths are expanded in a build
>>> environment to form an environment variable.  search-paths works on
>>> inputs whereas native-search-paths works on native-inputs.  In
>>> addition, native-search-paths also end up in your
>>> $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile.
>>
>> So it is like how "PATH" is established inside build environment?
>>
>> Also, are they useful only to the package itself or to other
>> packages
>> that depend on it as well?
> Depends on the package.  If it gets propagated into the build
> environment, the variable is set as well.  At other times, it might be
> set through the wrap phase for runtime purposes.

I am gonna sit on what you said and think.

@ 2021-02-09 10:22     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2021-02-09 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 09.02.21 um 11:06 schrieb Leo Prikler:
> Depends on the package.  If it gets propagated into the build
> environment, the variable is set as well.  At other times, it might be
> set through the wrap phase for runtime purposes.

This makes me think whether the wrap-phase of the qt-build-system does
it right (even after 45784 is merged): It searches the "inputs" for some
directories. This has the major drawback of including native-inputs
(most notable: cmake).

Now I wonder whether the correct paths are already available a
"search-path"?

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: [DOUBT]: native-search-paths VS search-paths
@ 2021-02-09 12:26       ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-02-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel, guix-devel

Am Dienstag, den 09.02.2021, 11:22 +0100 schrieb Hartmut Goebel:
> Am 09.02.21 um 11:06 schrieb Leo Prikler:
> > Depends on the package.  If it gets propagated into the build
> > environment, the variable is set as well.  At other times, it might
> > be
> > set through the wrap phase for runtime purposes.
>
> This makes me think whether the wrap-phase of the qt-build-system
> does
> it right (even after 45784 is merged): It searches the "inputs" for
> some
> directories. This has the major drawback of including native-inputs
> (most notable: cmake).
It probably does some wrong things there.  I'm also not sure if we can
distinguish between inputs and native-inputs at this stage, since IIRC
both get merged into %build-inputs, which is then passed as inputs.

For a similar issue look at python packages built with meson – they
likely retain a reference to meson as well.

Regards,
Leo