unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: jbranso@dismail.de
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: U.S. Midwest based build farm
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 16:06:59 +0000	[thread overview]

Hey guix,

I live near a big university that sells old Dell 7020 optiplex machines. So each desktop machine costs about $200 - $250, depending on how the current market rate is for hard drive and RAM. My current landlord has an unused basement. It should be somewhat easy to get an ethernet cord to the basement, plugged up to 2+ desktop machines. My ISP is metronet, which is usually pretty friendly to self-hosting things. If guix is interested in paying for some of the ISP bills, electric bills, and/or renting my landlord's basement, I think it would be pretty cool to try to set up another build farm.

Why I am the best candidate for this role:

I'm not. I have a pretty bad track record for being lazy. I have still not finished my opensmtpd configuration for the opensmtpd service.

What do you all think?

What's good and/or bad about this idea?
Thanks,

Joshua