unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: "Jonathan McHugh" <indieterminacy@libre.brussels>
To: "Liliana Marie Prikler" <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at>,
	"Maxime Devos" <maximedevos@telenet.be>,
	"Sarah Morgensen" <iskarian@mgsn.dev>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Can we find a better idiom for unversioned packages?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 19:48:05 +0000	[thread overview]

September 1, 2021 8:35 PM, "Liliana Marie Prikler" <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at> wrote

> Making our rando commit git versions look like such other distro
> versions does come at a disadvantage though, particularly when we look
> at it through the lense of someone not used to Guix' versioning scheme.
> Instead of telling us "yeah, this is the Nth time we picked a rando
> commit since the last release and this time it's de4db3ef", users
> coming from such distros would assume "oh well, this is still good ol'
> 1.0 with some more patches applied". So while the commit itself does
> not give us any particularly useful information (unless you're that
> person who uses this part of the version string to look the commit up
> on hubbucket), especially not when thinking in the context of
> versioning scheme, it does provide the existential information of "hold
> on, this is not a release commit, it's something else" and might thus
> direct users to be a little more attentive when they'd otherwise go
> "yep, upstream considers this solid and Guix considers it even more
> solid, so it's the solidest". Note, that this can be overcome both by
> teaching/learning about it and by using a special sigil as mentioned
> above.

Perhaps a function revealing metadata based upon the version string would allow more people get an overview without visiting hubbucket^1?

Would that be any weirder and awkward for workflows than the command `guix download'?
=> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-download.html

Even better, highlighting the part of the string and launching an appropriate context in Emacs-Hyperbole

> My personal answer to this might be a disappointing one, as in that
> case I believe we wouldn't even need procedures like git-version to
> form them, but could instead use <upstream-version>-<guix-revision> as
> a mere convention like many more popular distros already do. If the
> dash is overused for that, we could also use a different symbol, though
> perhaps there's not that many on a typical US keyboard to reserve one
> as a revision delimiter.

# Apologies for being off topic
The inclusion of that character '£' on keyboards bothers me - Ive never seen anybody use it (though maybe I have some fuzzy memory with regards to the Commodore 64).

If it unfortunately is on an international band of keyboard classes consider it as a delimiter. Otherwise Im ripping out that button and never interfacing the number 3 again.

^1 Is that pronounced bouquet?
=> https://keepingupappearances.fandom.com/wiki/Hyacinth_Bucket

====================
Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels

> Am Mittwoch, den 01.09.2021, 18:39 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
>
>> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op wo 01-09-2021 om 15:33 [+0200]:
>> Hi

>> If you are worried about that in a frequently changing package, you
>> could set both to *unspecified* or #f instead, which would cause
>> any
>> reference to them in a string manipulation context to fail. I
>> don't
>> think that such transitions are too frequent, though, as the point
>> is
>> rather to discourage them where not absolutely necessary and to use
>> upstream releases instead.

>> Other versioning idioms would also be workarounds, wouldn't they?

>> What purpose would extracting those serve however?
>>
>> Not losing the revision is useful for things like
>> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50072>, to be able to determine the old
>> revision. (That's not about inheriting packages though.)
>
> Isn't that addressed by addressing the second point, though? Like, if
> you know the source location of the revision, you can read it back to
> get the value itself (or possibly even access it as-is), no?
>
>> [...]
>>> To be used like:
>>>
>>> (define-public sbcl-feeder
>>> (name "sbcl-feeder")
>>> (version (extended-version
>>> (base "1.0.0")
>>> (revision 1)
>>> (commit
>>> "b05f517d7729564575cc809e086c262646a94d34")))
>>> (source
>>> (origin
>>> (method git-fetch)
>>> (uri (git-reference ...)
>>> (url ...)
>>> ;; git-reference needs to be extended to retrieve the
>>> commit from the version
>>> (version version)))
>>> (file-name (git-file-name "feeder" version))
>>> (sha256 ...)))