unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Kitty terminal new package, symlink problem
@ 2024-05-22 14:38 Lucy Coleclough
From: Lucy Coleclough @ 2024-05-22 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Edison Ibáñez if you see this,
I am unsure if my reply on debuggs was sent, i am yet to get a email
address that supports git send-email,
It seems that go embed does not support symlinks and in the kitty build
dir, "/src/github.com/alecthomas/chroma/v2/**" the embed-ed files are
symlinks to the chroma store directory.

https://pkg.go.dev/embed
"Patterns must not match files outside the package's module, such as
‘.git/*’ or symbolic links. Patterns must not match files whose names
include the special punctuation characters " * < > ? ` ' | / \ and :.
Matches for empty directories are ignored. After that, each pattern in a
//go:embed line must match at least one file or non-empty directory. "

I was just looking at what is the process which creates the link, it is
possibly line 232 ( in my checkout) of guix/build/go-build-system
```
   (let ((dest (string-append (getenv "GOPATH") "/src/" unpack-path)))
     (mkdir-p dest)
     (if (file-is-directory? source)
         (copy-recursively source dest #:keep-mtime? #t)
         (unpack-maybe-strip source dest)))

```
there is not a symlink function call, i think build systems are
inherited so maybe it is in a containing build system.

Im going out now but this seems to be the cause of the failure.

Also if anyone sees this and has an invite to riseup email service (
should the service be capable of handling another stranger) then please
may i have a invite?, google sux
Thanks!

* Re: Setting up gmail for git send-email
@ 2024-05-30  3:21 ` Imran Iqbal
From: Imran Iqbal @ 2024-05-30  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucy Coleclough; +Cc: guix-devel

> I am unsure if my reply on debuggs was sent, i am yet to get a email address
> that supports git send-email,

> Also if anyone sees this and has an invite to riseup email service ( should
> the service be capable of handling another stranger) then please may i have
> a invite?, google sux

I know that this is not the main point of your email (hence changing the
subject), but I would like to chime in on how I get my gmail to work git
send-email. The easiest way is to just have it use another program. In
my case I use msmtp.

In your ~/.gitconfig:
[sendemail]
	smtpserver = /usr/bin/msmtp
	smtpserveroption = -a
	smtpserveroption = gmail

For ~/.msmtp
defaults
auth           on
tls            on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
logfile        ~/.msmtp.log

# Gmail
account        gmail
host           smtp.gmail.com
port           465
tls_starttls   off
from           username@gmail.com
user           username@gmail.com
passwordeval    "pass username@gmail.com"

The actual password that you put in your password manager in this case
would be an app password [0].

This setup works for me for a bunch of different email accounts across
gmail/live/ymail

[0] https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

* Re: Setting up gmail for git send-email
@ 2024-05-30  8:25   ` Philip McGrath
From: Philip McGrath @ 2024-05-30  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Imran Iqbal, Lucy Coleclough; +Cc: guix-devel

On 5/29/24 23:21, Imran Iqbal wrote:
>> I am unsure if my reply on debuggs was sent, i am yet to get a email address
>> that supports git send-email,
>
>> Also if anyone sees this and has an invite to riseup email service ( should
>> the service be capable of handling another stranger) then please may i have
>> a invite?, google sux
>
> I know that this is not the main point of your email (hence changing the
> subject), but I would like to chime in on how I get my gmail to work git
> send-email. The easiest way is to just have it use another program. In
> my case I use msmtp.

Along those lines, when this email address used to be hosted on Gmail
infrastructure, I used sendgmail, which is specifically designed for git
send-email and implemented using the Gmail API.

I packaged it for Guix at the time:
https://packages.guix.gnu.org/packages/sendgmail/

There are instructions for obtaining the necessary API key at
<https://github.com/google/gmail-oauth2-tools/tree/master/go/sendgmail>,
and I saw just now that there were some commits several years of
inactivity! (During that time, I changed hosting for this email address,
so I haven't used sendgmail lately.) One commit obsoletes our
"sendgmail-remove-domain-restriction.patch", and it looks like others
may be necessary to satisfy new authentication requirements imposed by
Google.

Philip

* Re: Setting up gmail for git send-email
@ 2024-05-30 10:15   ` lucy
From: lucy @ 2024-05-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Imran Iqbal; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello thank you for the response
A issue for me was the need for 2fa, but thankfully the sendgmail approach seems to work without that by using a gmail dev api setup.
All the best

@ 2024-05-30 10:15     ` lucy
From: lucy @ 2024-05-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip McGrath; +Cc: guix-devel

Thank you this works nicely and seems to bypass the need for 2fa
All the best

@ 2024-05-31 13:23     ` pinoaffe
From: pinoaffe @ 2024-05-31 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucy; +Cc: Imran Iqbal, guix-devel

lucy <coleclough.lucy@gmail.com> writes:
> A issue for me was the need for 2fa,

msmtp can be configured to use 2fa using the tool mailctl.

Mailctl is not currently packaged in guix, but see
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65976 for a half-year-old that adds it.

on that topic: does anyone feel like reviewing these patches?

> but thankfully the sendgmail approach seems to work without that by
> using a gmail dev api setup.
nice to hear that things are working!

Kind regards,
pinoaffe