On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 23:28 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote: > I did spot these patches > https://patches.guix-patches.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/?series=7298 Awesome!! I did not see them earlier! > I think the Guix Data Service could run the "refresh" code from Guix > and > store relevant data, although I'm also thinking along the lines of > trying to generate patches, like you go on to below... Yes :-D > So, one thing I'm hoping to start work on in the coming weeks/months > is > the long awaited service for providing subscriptions/notifications > for > the Guix Data Service (+ other services). > > My current plan is to use a WebSub like pattern, but this could > easily > be adapted to RSS/email/... That sounds very great! I know you've been working on this, but I also wanted (through my email) try to make more people aware and draw attention to the subject of automation in GNU Guix. > Yeah, one problem with the current automated patch review stuff I've > got > going at the moment is that there's no feedback when the Guix Data > Service finds out that things do/don't build. Yes, and because of that the Guix Data Service and guix-build- coordinator-agent thing you are running goes mostly unused (even for me!). > However, as I also set out above, there's been a plan and design for > making that possible for years, it just needs implementing. > > One thing I'm hoping to do once it's possible to subscribe to Guix > Data > Service data is make the checks in Patchwork actually reflective of > results (like 4 packages broken by these changes), rather than just > providing links, and someone having to figure out what information is > hidden within. > > Those same subscriptions could be used to prompt people to look at > patches for package updates that don't introduce breakages (following > what you set out above). +1000 > The pieces are slowly coming together for this, at least with the way > I > would approach it. For example, it's possible to get commits in to > data.guix-patches.cbaines.net now by just pushing to the Git > repository, > so to set out something similar to what you describe above: > > - Some service watches for new releases (through the guix refresh > code), and then makes commits, and pushes them to a Git repo > > - There's a Guix Data Service reading from that Git repository, it > starts processing the changes > > - Something (probably the "service" above") subscribes to find out > when > relevant information is available (like build successes/failures) > > - Builds happen via the Guix Build Coordinator, which feeds > information > back to the Guix Data Service > > - That "service" gets the notifications that the commits are good, > and > prompts someone to review them All awesome! Can't wait! As soon as I can I will make sure to help, I am reading through the GNU Guile manual, need to find more concentration time. > I hope some of that makes sense, > > Chris Thanks a lot Chris for all this!!