unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net>
To: Will Schenk <wschenk@gmail.com>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Installing custom kernel on Intel NUC using USB and no network(newbie question)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 19:01:26 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Will

I never played with guix archive so I will just comment on what I advise
you to do.

On 2019-07-13 18:41, Will Schenk wrote:
> I'm playing around with guixsd and am really impressed with the work so
> far!  I've been unpacking the installer and configuration trying to
> understand how it works.  so if there's a more straightforward way to do
> this that would be great also, but I have some questions on how guix
> itself works.
>
> I'm trying to install guix on a IntelNUC where I don't have access to a
> wired connection.  This requires me to use the iwlwifi-firmware.

I never used guix with wifi. Is there a free iwl driver in linux-libre?
If not I advise you to buy a free software compatible wifi-stick. See
h-node.org.

> I have a docker container on my OSX machine that installs guix on a
> debian image, and from there I add another channel to guix that has the
> standard linux kernel.  From there I build an installation iso that I
> copy to USB key, boot the nuc off of, and am able to install the system
> over WiFi and everything is great.

This sounds overly complicated if all you want to do is try guix system
on the NUC.

> My plan was to then change my /etc/config.scm file to include the
> packages that I built in the docker container to provision the system
> with a different kernel.  What I can't figure out is how to copy the
> package over in a way that guix system reconfigure can see them just
> using a USB stick.

Building a custom kernel is not something I would recommend beginners of
Guix System. I have only seen a few do it and they had many months of
experience.

> Question 3:
>
> It seems crazy to me that I'm downloading everything over and over.  At
> the office (where I was playing with this) we have fiber, but right here
> we have a terrible network connection so downloading multiple times is
> painful.  Is there a way to setup a local mirror of the builds (I'm
> waiting for ipfs backing for this obvious.)

It seems you have access to fast wired internet. I advise you to take
the NUC somewhere and plug it in and wait for it to download everything.
Guix is somewhat (maybe 25% compared to parabola and 35% compared to
Debian) more bandwidth hungry than your average distribution from my
experience.

> Anyway, what I really dont understand is the guix archive behavior and
> why that didn't work, and how to reference the packages once they've
> been imported into either my profile and especially the config.scm.

Guix archive is not used a lot to my knowledge. I would avoid it as a
beginner. Running guix publish to move packages is much more user friendly.

> Thanks, and I'm very excited to be playing with guix!

Cool! Hope you find a solution that works for you.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia