unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Fwd: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 07:03:24 +0100	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #2: Weitergeleitete Nachricht – Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2735 bytes --]

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com>
To: Olivier Rojon <o.rojon@posteo.net>
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:48:28 +0100

Bonjour Olivier,

Am Sonntag, den 14.11.2021, 08:19 +0000 schrieb Olivier Rojon:
> I'm not sure if this belongs to guix-devel or the guix issue tracker,
> but I was unable to make multiple profiles work with guix home.
Is that the reason why you posted it to neither?  Since you are voicing
your support, I think guix-devel would have been fine, but you would
have had to write a separate mail to guix-help (or is it help-guix?)
towards getting your issue solved.  I don't think it's a bug per se,
but configuring current guix home to work with multiple profiles would
be hacky either way, not to mention all the other environment variables
that setup doesn't account for.

> I tried two scenarios:
> 1) (local-file ...) my old .bash_profile, which featured the
> cookbooks' for loop for loading the profiles.
I think your old bash_profile would be overwritten either way, so that
is not a style I'd recommend.

> 2) (plain-file ...) a new .bash_profile, which contained
> scheme-generated strings "manually" sourcing each individual profile.
You might want to look at the file generated through this means.
Chances are that your changes don't apply or apply at the wrong moment
and are then overwritten.

> Both scenarios didn't work.  Upon starting the machine, neither of my
> profiles' packages are visible.  It is necessary to manually source
> the profiles to make said packages visible.
I think there's an environment service type that you might not have
tried yet.  I am myself not a guix-home user, because this nastiness is
a thing that keeps me from switching to it.  I don't want to pollute
more of my $HOME for no gain, I want to be able to tell Guix which
layout I like.

> I've written a reddit-post about it, where I explain some stuff in
> more detail in case that's relevant.  You can find the post here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/GUIX/comments/qs8dxg/guix_home_how_to_execute_loops_shell_scripts/
>
> I hope that this will work and that I have not unknowingly
> overstepped etiquette somewhere.  If so, feel free to point me to it
> :)
For the record, what happens if you source .guix-
home/files/bash_profile.  Is .bash_profile correctly set up as a
symlink to that?  You might want to try this in a debug shell (bash -v)

Cheers,
Liliana