On 09-08-2022 20:58, david larsson wrote: > On 2022-08-05 15:59, Maxime Devos wrote: > > [..] > >> >> 20.4.5.3 Fixing technical issues (compilation errors, test failures, >> other bugs ...) >> >> Usually, a bug fix comes in the form of a patch copied from upstream >> or another distribution. In that case, simply adding the patch to the >> 'patches' field is the most convenient and usually does not cause any >> problems; there is no need to rewrite it as a snippet or a phase. >> >> If no ready-made patch already exists, then choosing between a patch >> or a snippet is a matter of convenience. However, there are two things >> to keep in mind: >> >> First, when the fix is not Guix-specific, it is strongly desired to >> upstream the fix to avoid the additional maintenance cost to Guix. As >> upstreams cannot accept a snippet, writing a patch can be a more >> efficient use of time. Secondly, if the fix of a technical issue >> embeds a store file name, then it has to be a phase. Otherwise, if a >> store file name was embedded in the source, the result of 'guix build >> --source' would be unusable on non-Guix systems and likely also >> unusable on Guix systems of another architecture. > > There may be other reasons to add patches: [...] Agreed (*), but I don't think that subsection claims those are the only reasons for patches -- that section is only about fixing technical issues, not adding new features, as implied by the name of the section. I can look at adding a new subsection 'Adding new functionality' for a v3. Liliana's documentation contains some information not in my v2, I intend to look into integrating that information as well. > > 1. Functionality, that is not yet accepted upstream, because > maintainer(s) do not have enough time to review all pull requests, or > are simply slow to review. "if no response within X time from > upstream, then guix may include your patch" might be a good policy here. (*) We sometimes do such things already. Example: (nowadays upstreamed). I don't think this thread is a good place for deciding on the exact rules though -- deciding on an appropriate value of X seems difficult, I would like to separate that from the current documentation patch. Greetings, Maxime.