unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* src.zip, demos and samples in java idk
@ 2016-09-03  6:52 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-09-03  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I discovered that the "jdk" of icedtea includes "demos", "samples" and
even a "src.zip" file. These are as big as 50 MB, where the src.zip
contributes by 43 MB. Thee 50MB are ca. 12% of the whole jdk.

IMHO, all of these should not be there since they are rarely needed.
Also it is common security best-practice to *not* include any demo code
on production systems - which should at least followed by such large
packages. The reasoning is that demos and examples are often prone to
errors and offering attack points.

Shall I move these to "doc" or to a new output (e.g. "examples").

We should use the same scheme later for all packages where the examples
will get a package by their own.

--
Schönen Gruß
(Please mind Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog:
http://www.goebel-consult.de/blog/bewertung-pgp-verschlusselung-bei-web.de-und-gmx

Kolumne:
http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/2011-09-kommerz-uber-recht-fdp-die-gefaellt-mir-partei

* Re: src.zip, demos and samples in java idk
@ 2016-09-03 12:25 ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2016-09-03 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

> Shall I move these to "doc" or to a new output (e.g. "examples").

Yes, I think it is common practice in other distros to separate doc,
samples & src
from the jdk itself.

> We should use the same scheme later for all packages where the examples will
> get a package by their own.

Maybe only for packages where this is significant size-wise...

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: src.zip, demos and samples in java idk
@ 2016-09-03 14:04 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-09-03 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@goebel-consult.de> skribis:

> I discovered that the "jdk" of icedtea includes "demos", "samples" and
> even a "src.zip" file. These are as big as 50 MB, where the src.zip
> contributes by 43 MB. Thee 50MB are ca. 12% of the whole jdk.
>
> IMHO, all of these should not be there since they are rarely needed.
> Also it is common security best-practice to *not* include any demo code
> on production systems - which should at least followed by such large
> packages. The reasoning is that demos and examples are often prone to
> errors and offering attack points.
>
> Shall I move these to "doc" or to a new output (e.g. "examples").

It would make sense to move them to “doc”, indeed; we’ve done it in
other packages.

Ludo’.

* Re: src.zip, demos and samples in java idk
@ 2016-09-16 14:47   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2016-09-16 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 03.09.2016 um 16:04 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> > Shall I move these to "doc" or to a new output (e.g. "examples").
> It would make sense to move them to “doc”, indeed; we’ve done it in
> other packages.

I tried, but did not manage. Building eat 3,8 GB of temp-space, then
failed due to the ram-disk being out of space.

For somebody else wanting to work on this: I assume adding these lines
to patch-paths phase should move the demo and sample into the docs.

+               ;; install demo and sample code into docs
+               (substitute* "openjdk.src/jdk/make/common/Defs.gmk"
+                 (("^DEMODIR[ \t]+=.*/demo$")
+                  "DEMODIR = $(OUTPUTDIR)/docs$(DOCSDIRSUFFIX)/demo\n")
+                 (("^SAMPLEDIR[ \t]+=.*/sample$")
+                  "DEMODIR = $(OUTPUTDIR)/docs$(DOCSDIRSUFFIX)/sample\n"))

I'm not going to work on this any longer. I've spend two hours
scrabbling about the targets within this source and each try did take
another half an hour - and then failed due to out of disk-space. This
confirms my opinion about the poor quality of Java software.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |