unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* 0.8.1 kernel panics
@ 2015-02-04  2:50 Kete Foy
From: Kete Foy @ 2015-02-04  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello, a couple of us are having kernel panics after installing 0.8.1
and getting past Grub. I installed on a laptop, but attached is
someone's picture of a Qemu installation. I am having the same Call
Trace. The installer booted, but the first boot failed. I also notice an
error flash in between the words "loading grub" and seeing Grub, but it
disappears before I can read it. I am sure that the partition has the
suggested label /root/: checked with e2label. Also attached is my
/etc/config.scm.

[-- Attachment #2: 3zu05Q.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 162312 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: config.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 1619 bytes --]

;; This is an operating system configuration template.

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules xorg networking dbus avahi)
(use-package-modules avahi)

(operating-system
  (host-name "shaved_yak")
  (timezone "America/New York")
  (locale "en_US.UTF-8")

  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk, and "root" is
  ;; the label of the target root file system.
  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "root")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  ;; This is where user accounts are specified.  The "root"
  ;; account is implicit, and is initially created with the
  ;; empty password.
  (users (list (user-account
                (name "kete")
                (comment "Kete Foy")
                (group "users")

                ;; Adding the account to the "wheel" group
                ;; makes it a sudoer.  Adding it to "audio"
                ;; and "video" allows the user to play sound
                ;; and access the webcam.
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/kete"))))

  ;; Add services to the baseline: the SLiM log-in manager
  ;; for Xorg sessions, a DHCP client, Avahi, and D-Bus.
  (services (cons* (slim-service)
                   (dhcp-client-service)
                   (avahi-service)
                   (dbus-service (list avahi))
                   %base-services)))

* Re: 0.8.1 kernel panics
@ 2015-02-04  3:55 ` Omar Radwan
From: Omar Radwan @ 2015-02-04  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kete Foy; +Cc: guix-devel

I think I know your problem. In your filesystems declaration,

(file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "root")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

You left the default pseudo entry for (device), you need to enter your
hdd partition label that you plan installing GSD on. For example it
should be like this:

(file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sda1")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

@ 2015-02-04 14:47   ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-02-04 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Radwan; +Cc: guix-devel, Kete Foy, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-02-04 00:55, Omar Radwan wrote:
> I think I know your problem. In your filesystems declaration,
>
> (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "root")
>                         (title 'label)
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4"))
>                       %base-file-systems))
>
> You left the default pseudo entry for (device), you need to enter your
> hdd partition label that you plan installing GSD on. For example it
> should be like this:
>
> (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "/dev/sda1")
>                         (title 'label)
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4"))
>                       %base-file-systems))
>
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Kete Foy <kete@ninthfloor.org> wrote:
>> Hello, a couple of us are having kernel panics after installing 0.8.1
>> and
>> getting past Grub. I installed on a laptop, but attached is someone's
>> picture of a Qemu installation. I am having the same Call Trace. The
>> installer booted, but the first boot failed. I also notice an error
>> flash in
>> between the words "loading grub" and seeing Grub, but it disappears
>> before I
>> can read it. I am sure that the partition has the suggested label
>> root:
>> checked with e2label. Also attached is my /etc/config.scm.
The first example (device "root") work if you format you HD with option
"-L". For example: mkfs.ext4 -L "root" /dev/sda1. So you can mount your
particion with command: mount -L root /mnt, and follow the
documentation.
Else the second example work without labels.
--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)