On 25-09-2022 17:04, Danny Milosavljevic wrote: > Also, this doesn't work: > > On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:06:06 +0200 > Danny Milosavljevic wrote: > > (1) install the guix system > (2) log in as regular user > (3c) git clone --depth=1https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git guix \ > && cd guix \ > && guix shell This issue had been reported in : Liliana Marie Prikler wrote: > What would happen on the top-level of the Guix source tree or deep > inside the tree of a guile package that deals with manifests, that > aren't necessarily related to Guix? I think we should try searching > for something less ambiguous first (".guix-shell/manifest" perhaps?) > and maybe also provide further options after manifest.scm (e.g. build- > aux/guix.scm or etc/guix.scm) This issue was considered unlikely: Ludovic Courtès wrote: > You mean a directory that contains a file named ‘guix.scm’ or > ‘manifest.scm’ but that happens to do something completely unrelated? > > We can never rule this out, but I’d say it’s unlikely (these two > conventions are rather well established) and it’s up to the user to pay > attention. > > WDYT? Later shown to be incorrect on the top-level of the Guix source tree more explicitly: Maxime Devos wrote: > Guix itself doesn't follow this convention: the guix source tree has an unrelated > "guix.scm" file, that doesn't evaluate to a package. I'd expect that running > "guix shell" within the guix source tree would be equivalent to > "guix environment guix", but currently this doesn't seem to be the case. As such, it was proposed to leave out auto-detection of ‘guix.scm’: Liliana Marie Prikler wrote: > Leaving out the auto-detection of ‘guix.scm’ and ‘manifest.scm’ for now > is a good idea, given that Guix itself would be an edge-case for that. > [ proposed alternative solution ] It was agreed that auto-detection fails here: Ludovic Courtès wrote: >> Guix itself doesn't follow this convention: the guix source tree has an unrelated >> "guix.scm" file, that doesn't evaluate to a package. > > Indeed, but that’s because Guix predates the convention. :-) > > Toggle quote (4 lines) >> I'd expect that running "guix shell" within the guix source tree would >> be equivalent to "guix environment guix", but currently this doesn't >> seem to be the case. > > Right, it would fail poorly in this particular case. ... and then ignored, AFAICT. Greetings, Maxime.