unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: dan <i@dan.games>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Should wsl-boot-program create XDG_RUNTIME_DIR?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 14:09:31 +0800	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1414 bytes --]

Hello guix,

Even since the WSL image was pushed to master branch, I've been spending
time experimenting with it.  It almost runs smoothly, unless two points:

1. when logged in, there is a warning says:
  > warning: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR doesn't exists, on-first-login script won't
execute anything.  You can check if xdg runtime directory exists,
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR variable is set to appropriate value and manually
execute the script by running '$HOME/.guix-home/on-first-login'

The value of $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is /run/user/$UID, and the /run/user
directory is empty.  I believe the /run directory is created on WSL's
side, and there is a step remounting it[1].

This also makes home shepherd services unusable.  Although I could
manually create the directory, perhaps it's better if we could just do
the work within `wsl-boot-program', a wrapper for the login shell to
work properly on WSL.

2. WSLg is usable, but the mesa in guix repo doesn't build with d3d12
gallium driver[2]. So when opening up a GUI software in guix on WSL, in
renders through llvmpipe (using CPU not GPU).

I'm not sure if building mesa with d3d12 driver enabled by default is a
good idea, or maybe we could create a new package?

[1]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system/images/wsl2.scm#n87
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/gl.scm#n332

--