unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Commit ‘gnu: ghc-8.10: Disable failing test on i686.’ has a cross-compilation bug
@ 2021-11-05 20:19 Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-11-05 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

About this commit:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=89de1924cb535fc2c97d3654e21badaebd43518e

> +           ,@(if (string=? "i686-linux" (%current-system))
> +              '((add-after 'skip-more-tests 'skip-failing-tests-i686
> +                 (lambda _
> +                   (substitute*
'("testsuite/tests/codeGen/should_compile/all.T")
> +                     (("(test\\('T15155l',
)when\\(unregisterised\\(\\), skip\\)" all before)
> +                      (string-append before "when(arch('i386'),
skip)"))))))
> +              '())))))

Barring any reports of the contrary, I'd presume the same would
apply for the Hurd. Also, %current-target-system seems more
appropriate, though here it doesn't matter because it's only
for tests.

I suggest: ,@(if (target-x86-64?) '(...) '())

Greetings,
Maxime
--
not hacking on guix for a while, only occassionally looking at IRC logs
and bug reports.  E-mails are unsigned until backup is located.

* Re: Commit ‘gnu: ghc-8.10: Disable failing test on i686.’ has a cross-compilation bug
@ 2021-11-06 11:07 ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2021-11-06 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Maxime,

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=89de1924cb535fc2c97d3654e21badaebd43518e
>
> > +           ,@(if (string=? "i686-linux" (%current-system))
> […]
>
> Barring any reports of the contrary, I'd presume the same would
> apply for the Hurd. Also, %current-target-system seems more
> appropriate, though here it doesn't matter because it's only
> for tests.
the GHC package declares support for x86 and x86-64 on Linux only,
because we don’t have a bootstrap path for the Hurd (there are
no prebuilt binaries) and the Hurd is not officially supported by
upstream. Unless someone puts some effort into that I doubt it’ll ever
run on that platform.

> I suggest: ,@(if (target-x86-64?) '(...) '())
I don’t see `target-x86-64?` being defined on master and I assume you
meant `target-x86-32?`, right?

Cheers,
Lars

* Re: Commit ‘gnu: ghc-8.10: Disable failing test on i686.’ has a cross-compilation bug
@ 2021-11-06 12:42   ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-11-06 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun; +Cc: guix-devel

Lars-Dominik Braun schreef op za 06-11-2021 om 12:07 [+0100]:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=89de1924cb535fc2c97d3654e21badaebd43518e
> >
> > > +           ,@(if (string=? "i686-linux" (%current-system))
> > […]
> >
> > Barring any reports of the contrary, I'd presume the same would
> > apply for the Hurd. Also, %current-target-system seems more
> > appropriate, though here it doesn't matter because it's only
> > for tests.
> the GHC package declares support for x86 and x86-64 on Linux only,
> because we don’t have a bootstrap path for the Hurd (there are
> no prebuilt binaries) and the Hurd is not officially supported by
> upstream. Unless someone puts some effort into that I doubt it’ll
> ever
> run on that platform.

Currently, non-Linux is not supported by the GHC package.  However,
people learn how to package things by example (and by reading
documentation, etc.), so I'd prefer to avoid (accidentally) teaching
people to make their package definitions Linux-specific.

> > I suggest: ,@(if (target-x86-64?) '(...) '())
> I don’t see `target-x86-64?` being defined on master and I assume you
> meant `target-x86-32?`, right?

Yes, I meant target-x86-32?. I don't think it is defined on master,
but it could be ‘back-ported’ from core-updates.

Greetings,
Maxime.
--

@ 2021-11-07 10:17     ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2021-11-07 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Maxime,

> Currently, non-Linux is not supported by the GHC package.  However,
> people learn how to package things by example (and by reading
> documentation, etc.), so I'd prefer to avoid (accidentally) teaching
> people to make their package definitions Linux-specific.
do we have any documentation/guidelines on how to do this properly? I
remember I just copied code from a different package, because I couldn’t
find anything else.

Thanks,
Lars

* Re: Commit ‘gnu: ghc-8.10: Disable failing test on i686.’ has a cross-compilation bug
@ 2021-11-07 10:29       ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-11-07 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun; +Cc: guix-devel

Lars-Dominik Braun schreef op zo 07-11-2021 om 11:17 [+0100]:
> Hi Maxime,
>
> > Currently, non-Linux is not supported by the GHC package.  However,
> > people learn how to package things by example (and by reading
> > documentation, etc.), so I'd prefer to avoid (accidentally)
> > teaching
> > people to make their package definitions Linux-specific.
> do we have any documentation/guidelines on how to do this properly? I
> remember I just copied code from a different package, because I
> couldn’t
> find anything else.

AFAIK the target-ARCH? predicates aren't documented, though it could
be useful to document them in the manual somewhere

There is also a (non-applied) patch adjusting package definitions to
use the target-ARCH? predicates: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49672#9.
(But not target-x86-64?/target-x86-32?, presumably because those aren't
in master.)

Greetings,
Maxime