Danny Milosavljevic skrev: (18 januari 2019 21:29:28 CET) >On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 19:03:18 +0000 >Caleb Ristvedt wrote: > >> To be clear, it's not so much a real problem as an eyesore. 'sudo >guix >> package ...' and 'sudo guix pull' will operate on root's profile(s) >as >> expected, but that also means 'sudo guix system reconfigure' will >look at >> root's profile when deciding whether to say that it's out of date, >even >> though the guix actually used for reconfiguring may not be out of >date. It >> pretty much only ever comes up when reconfiguring, but for those like >> myself who are worried by messages like that it can be confusing to >try to >> resolve. > >There's an environment variable "SUDO_USER" which still contains the >name >of the original user. > >We could check SUDO_USER instead of USER if USER=root, otherwise check >USER. +1 great idea. Maybe we could have an explicit --root switch too? Then we could state in the manual that guix always runs with your user profile guix unless you give it --root. We could the clearly state why you might not want it to use a root profile of guix on a typical single user system. -- Sent from my p≡p for Android.