unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu>
To: Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>,
	Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Some more rust/cargo insights
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:13:44 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Hartmut and Pjotr,

My feeling on this is that we should partner with the Rust community to make shared library support from cargo a priority. Specifying an output directory is currently a nightly feature, that could be helpful.

In general Rust tooling does not compose with existing tools. I believe they will be amenable to the thought that it should. If Rust wants to be used in the linux kernel, for instance, it should be easy to use with Make.

Rust has a very well documented rfc process and we can at least bring it up that way. I brought up the possibility of collaboration between rust and functional package managers on the rust Zulip, even. They seemed to like the idea.

Another path we should checkout is to see what Debian does. My understanding is that they figured something out. Worth a shot, but I’d rather the problem be fixed upstream. It will just take collaboration.

Kindly,

John