unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
@ 2021-04-06 16:05 Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Aloha you lovely people!  I personally believe that people should make
business out of free software.  Here are some of my business ideas
involving GNU Guix.  I invite you all to beat me to market!

- Become a competitor to jmp.chat.  jmp.chat is a free software cell
phone service.  I use it.  They charge $3 per month.  Unlimited
calling and texting.  Not to shabby.  Somewhere on their website, they
link to a wiki that has all of their source code and the nitty gritty
details on how to use their service.  Someone could make this a
service in GNU Guix and then ANYONE could compete with jmp.chat.

- Sell your emacs config.  Guix should make it possible for people to
   download and install a custom emacs.  I believe one of the guix
   developers is currently making a custom emacs for guix usage...can
   someone link to that for me?  You could make a custom channel, that
   somehow people can only access if they pay for you it.  This is
   free software, BUT people need to pay to use it.  "Conversations"
   (that's how I use jmp.chat) on my Android phone, has this business
   model.  You have to pay to download the software, but it is free
   software.

- Sell free software games.  I'm sure guix could help you do this is
   some way...

- If we package sourcehut, people could try to compete with Drew
  Devault.  Though that guy works 80 hours a week.  So best of luck
  competing against him!

Thanks!

Joshua

Apologies if this is off topic.  Please let me know if this sort of
email does not belong on guix devel!

* Re: Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
@ 2021-04-06 17:49 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-04-06 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 12:05:00PM -0400, Joshua Branson wrote:
> Aloha you lovely people!  I personally believe that people should make
> business out of free software.  Here are some of my business ideas
> involving GNU Guix.  I invite you all to beat me to market!

VPS service that accepts a config.scm and returns a running virtual
machine, accessible with a web-based console (SSH, HTTPS and other
services would be enabled by the user as desired, in config.scm).

* Re: Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
@ 2021-04-07 16:15   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-07 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 12:05:00PM -0400, Joshua Branson wrote:
>> Aloha you lovely people!  I personally believe that people should make
>> business out of free software.  Here are some of my business ideas
>> involving GNU Guix.  I invite you all to beat me to market!
>
> VPS service that accepts a config.scm and returns a running virtual
> machine, accessible with a web-based console (SSH, HTTPS and other
> services would be enabled by the user as desired, in config.scm).

I'm all game to do something like this!  We could be a serious contender
for linode or digital ocean!  Guix already has a VPS like service...one
would just need to write the web interface...and potentially buy some
hardware.

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
@ 2021-04-08 20:39     ` ilmu
From: ilmu @ 2021-04-08 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi guys,

A bit crazy maybe but how about we completely redefine what money is?

I wrote "this" (the attachment or http://datalisp.is) over the weekend (in one sitting! very raw, sorry if it's hard to understand, feel free to ask me any questions).

Actually from seeing this:

> Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
> https://gnucode.me
> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
> https://propernaming.org
> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
> enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

It looks like you basically have the right idea about the economics, the paper describes something similar (get paid by helping others find the proper names for things).

The document basically explains how to make a "cryptocurrency" that uses something like "automated science" as proof of work.

Please leave preconceived notions at the door, this is not like any other cryptocurrency you are familiar with and the bit about automatic science is also slightly inaccurate, really it is hard to classify this idea (if it even works).

However! I have access to funding and some other people and this pdf serves as a general overview for this (admittedly very ambitious) project. The first step (that I have in mind) is to make an education startup that teaches programming to children and teenagers, by using the ideas in the paper this can be automated and the network self-perpetuating.

I am also very interested in making a "nixos-infect" type thing for Guix and asked about that in the past on the mailing lists.

Let me know how you decide to proceed, I'm sure we can cooperate.

Kind regards,
- Ilmu

@ 2021-04-11 16:10       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ilmu; +Cc: Leo Famulari, guix-devel@gnu.org

ilmu <ilmu@rishi.is> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> A bit crazy maybe but how about we completely redefine what money is?

Sure, why not?  That's what guix is all about.  Let's dare new things!

> I wrote "this" (the attachment or http://datalisp.is) over the weekend
> (in one sitting! very raw, sorry if it's hard to understand, feel free
> to ask me any questions).

Raw?  perhaps.  Attention grabbing introduction?  YES!

> Actually from seeing this:
>
>> Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
>> Sent from Emacs and Gnus
>> https://gnucode.me
>> https://video.hardlimit.com/accounts/joshua_branson/video-channels
>> https://propernaming.org
>> "You can have whatever you want, as long as you help
>> enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar
>
> It looks like you basically have the right idea about the economics,
> the paper describes something similar (get paid by helping others find
> the proper names for things).

That's what Earl Nightinggale said too!  Something like "Money going
into your wallet is directly proportional to your service or
contribution."

> The document basically explains how to make a "cryptocurrency" that uses something like "automated science" as proof of work.
>
> Please leave preconceived notions at the door, this is not like any
> other cryptocurrency you are familiar with and the bit about automatic
> science is also slightly inaccurate, really it is hard to classify
> this idea (if it even works).
>
> However! I have access to funding and some other people and this pdf
> serves as a general overview for this (admittedly very ambitious)
> project. The first step (that I have in mind) is to make an education
> startup that teaches programming to children and teenagers, by using
> the ideas in the paper this can be automated and the network
> self-perpetuating.

I honestly have a hard time grasping the concepts you present.  My good
friend happens to be a retired CEO of several global companies.  He's
got an engineering mind.  I'll show him the paper and see if he
understands it!  :)  My jabber ID is the same as my email address.  Feel
free to communicate with me directly that way!

> I am also very interested in making a "nixos-infect" type thing for Guix and asked about that in the past on the mailing lists.

Yes please!

--

@ 2021-04-11 16:42 jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-04-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I think one sustainable (no pun intended) way to proceed is to package fosspay for guix and write a service for it:

https://sr.ht/~sircmpwn/fosspay/

I created a public kanban board entry for it below to get started:

https://board.disroot.org/project/guix-packaging/us/677?kanban-status=12312

Feel free to get started on it on your own and contribute a patch to upstream. I'm not working on fosspay as of yet.

If you'd prefer to work on it together as a group feel free to join LibreMiami this month for a guix packaging meetup and make a request to package fosspay:

https://events.nixnet.services/events/27955ca1-0aee-4ec5-be20-48e6c45fd0f6

all the best,

jgart

libremiami.org
mumble.libremiami.org
search.libremiami.org
donotshake.libremiami.org

* Re: Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
@ 2021-04-11 17:26 ` Ryan Prior
From: Ryan Prior @ 2021-04-11 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution, jgart

On April 11, 2021, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
> package fosspay for guix and write a service for it

Nice idea, that looks like a really useful little service.

If any Guix maintainers are supported by community donations, send your
links so we can pitch in!

* Re: Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
@ 2021-04-11 18:10 ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-04-11 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: rprior

Ryan et al,

Some notes follow:

What can we do about the bundled jquery and bootstrap here?

https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/fosspay/tree/master/item/_static/jquery
https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/fosspay/tree/master/item/_static/bootstrap

The jquery and bootstrap code is required by this jinja template:

https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/fosspay/tree/master/item/templates/layout.html#L20

On a quick glance, the rest of the javascript codes look to be vanilla:

https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/fosspay/tree/master/item/scripts/index.js
https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/fosspay/tree/master/item/scripts/invoice.js

There's even an nginx.conf and systemd service file for us to use as notes when writing the service:

https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/fosspay/tree/master/item/contrib

all the best,

jgart