unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me>
To: Vivien Kraus <vivien@planete-kraus.eu>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guix role in a free society
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 20:26:06 +0200	[thread overview]

On 3/18/24 20:16, Tomas Volf wrote:
> On 2024-03-18 18:48:27 +0100, Vivien Kraus wrote:
>> The guix users, I claim, would rather have a distribution of guix (and
>> the packages it provides) with accurate personal information, even if
>> it means to be annoyed for a moment with a security system.
> Single data point: As a Guix user (and occasional contributor, albeit not a
> committer), I would very much prefer a system that does not rewrite the history.
> When someone wants to correct their name (for whatever reason), I would prefer
> it to be done going forward, not retroactively.
>
> I think making such broad statements without some empirical study is not great,
> since it is, as you said yourself, just your claim not supported by anything (as
> far as I can tell).
>
> Tomas Volf
>
> --
> There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
> cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

It pretty easy to see who most people that use Guix agree with that
actually. Check what the CoC says right here ->
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/CODE-OF-CONDUCT

|We as members, contributors, and leaders pledge to make participation
in our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless
of age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex
characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience,
education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance,
race, caste, color, religion, or sexual identity and orientation. We
pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open,
welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and healthy community. |

So since the Guix community have agreed to make it welcoming to
everybody we have to take into account people that will want to change
their names.

Social inclusion and people are above any tech ideals we may have.

We dont need to rewrite history at all also. There was a solution
already by Gitlab which was also proposed in the other thread (for legal
reasons) to do with UUIDs.

MSavoritias