Attila Lendvai schreef op ma 04-04-2022 om 08:00 [+0000]: > > Undermining the governments ability to raise tax also means > > undermining > > the ability to build schools, kindergartens, public libraries, > > public > > transport, streets, etc. Who is going to pay and provide all of > > this, If > > there is no democratically controlled() government? > > > there's plenty of past examples of financing these things without the > government collecting the necessary funds. Here's an example I know of: * Education. From what I have heard, students in the UK have to pay huge sums to be admitted to their universities. In Belgium, it's much lower (e.g. € 1000 a year(*)), AFAIK it's independent of the ‘status’ of the university and some arrangements are made for people that cannot afford the normal tarif. IIUC, the relatively low tarif is mostly thanks to government funding and the (public) universities not being for-profits. I think I prefer the government funding here above the seemingly non-existent private benefactors. (*) with some caveats, e.g. depends on the number of ‘studiepunten’ (ECTS) and IIUC there if you fail too much the university can refuse to admit you or demand a higher tarif. Greetings, Maxime.