unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix co-maintainers rotation
@ 2021-08-04 15:06 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-08-04 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear Guix community,

For some time already, two current Guix co-maintainers have expressed
the wish to withdraw themselves from their current duties: Ludovic
Courtès and Marius Bakke.  This would reduce the current co-maintainers
collective to the following remaining individuals: Tobias
Geerinckx-Rice, Mathieu Othacehe and myself, Maxim Cournoyer.

While this may come as sad news, I like to think that this will free
their hands from the administrative work, and hopefully allow them to
continue delivering neat and clever Guix-related hacks, as they see fit
and as time permits, of course :-).  It will also be an opportunity to
test if the co-maintainers collective that formed back in 2019 [0] has
sufficiently matured to take on the various challenges involved in
keeping the project and the community thriving, independently of
Ludovic, which created and nurtured GNU Guix from its beginning in 2012
and played key roles in various aspects of the project.

As a reminder, the core duties of Guix co-maintainers are:

1. Enforcing GNU and Guix policies, such as the project’s commitment to
be released under a copyleft free software license (GPLv3+) and to
follow the Free System Distribution Guideline (FSDG).

2. Enforcing our code of conduct: maintainers are the contact point for
anyone who wants to report abuse.

3. Making decisions, about code or anything, when consensus cannot be
reached.

We'd like to use this opportunity to send a new call for volunteers who
would be interested in becoming co-maintainers and helping out with the
above, and more!  We are looking for people with a time-proven track
record of GNU Guix contributions, with good communication and mediation
skills.

Let's all take a moment to share our gratitude to both Marius and
Ludovic, who have done so much to make GNU Guix the enjoyable project
(both as a technical project and community) that it is today.

Thank you!

Maxim
On behalf of the Guix co-maintainers

[0]  https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/gnu-guix-maintainer-collective-expands/

* Re: Guix co-maintainers rotation
@ 2021-08-04 18:13 ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2021-08-04 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> Dear Guix community,
>
> For some time already, two current Guix co-maintainers have expressed
> the wish to withdraw themselves from their current duties: Ludovic
> Courtès and Marius Bakke.  This would reduce the current co-maintainers
> collective to the following remaining individuals: Tobias
> Geerinckx-Rice, Mathieu Othacehe and myself, Maxim Cournoyer.

Thanks you Ludo’ and Marius for service to Guix leadership! I am extremely
happy when I'm interacting with the Guix community.

I also think leadership change is a great thing for organizations, and I
hope to be able to support the other maintainers, new and old, as best I
can.

Thanks!
Jack

* Re: Guix co-maintainers rotation
@ 2021-08-04 19:09   ` Anadon
From: Anadon @ 2021-08-04 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: guix-devel

I'll second for Ludo and Marius!  You two have been great and when I worked
on helping out Ludo was always there.  You'll be missed!

@ 2021-08-04 19:31 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-08-04 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wednesday, August 4th, 2021 at 3:06 PM, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Guix community,
>
> For some time already, two current Guix co-maintainers have expressed
>
> the wish to withdraw themselves from their current duties: Ludovic
>
> Courtès and Marius Bakke. This would reduce the current co-maintainers
>
> collective to the following remaining individuals: Tobias
>
> Geerinckx-Rice, Mathieu Othacehe and myself, Maxim Cournoyer.
>
> While this may come as sad news, I like to think that this will free
>
> their hands from the administrative work, and hopefully allow them to
>
> continue delivering neat and clever Guix-related hacks, as they see fit
>
> and as time permits, of course :-).

Hey, Ludo and Marius! I really appreciate all the work you've done over the years.

Enjoy your "retirement"!

* Re: Guix co-maintainers rotation
@ 2021-08-04 22:26 ` Thiago Jung Bauermann
From: Thiago Jung Bauermann @ 2021-08-04 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

Em quarta-feira, 4 de agosto de 2021, às 12:06:25 -03, Maxim Cournoyer
escreveu:
> Let's all take a moment to share our gratitude to both Marius and
> Ludovic, who have done so much to make GNU Guix the enjoyable project
> (both as a technical project and community) that it is today.
>
> Thank you!

Thank you so much Marius and Ludo’ for your dedication as maintainers!

I found the Guix community to be very welcoming, and have been impressed
with the responsiveness and helpfulness of the maintainers.
Congratulations!

Thiago