unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: crodges <crodges@csphy.pw>
To: Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Wireguard
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 09:26:26 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 11:35:02 A.M. PDT you wrote:
> crodges schreef op wo 06-10-2021 om 09:28 [-0700]:
> > [...]
> > I was able to create and run the vm. How can I build a .iso image with my
> > code changes to install in a vps? I tried to change the code, compile,
> > run
> >
> > guix system image -t iso9660 gnu/system/install.scm
>
> Don't forget ./pre-inst-env:
>
> make && ./pre-inst-env guix system image -t iso9660 gnu/system/install.scm
>
> Also, the installer won't use your locally modified guix.  IIUC,
> it will use the 'guix' package, which is normally only used by a few
> services like cuirass and guix-daemon, and for the initial installation.
>
> It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall Guix System, I'd recommend sending a
> copy of the locally-modified guix repo to your VM, build it, and
> reconfigure inside the VM (./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure ...)
> instead.
>
> However, it should also be possible to modify the guix used by the
> installer, using the procedure (current-guix) and and the macro
> modify-services, see gnu/tests/install.scm for an example.
>
> > then I grabbed the .iso from the /gnu/store
> >
> > but after installing it, it didn't contain my changes. Am I grabbing the
> > wrong iso, if so, how should I do this? I may be confusing guix installed
> > in my pc with the one I'm making changes.
>
> Greetins,
> Maxime.
Maxime,

I'm getting closer. I'm reading up on how the kernel treats networks, guile
and guix. After I solve this issue I'll definitely do a write up to pass on
the acquired knowledge, it'll be good for someone that is starting with guix,
like myself.

That said, I have additional questions. First, in my wireguard configuration I
need to call iptables. It was suggested to me that I should modify wireguard
to accept iptables-service as a extension, and also modify iptables for it to
be extended. Do you know any other way, or this looks like most appropriate?

Also, there are several wg0.conf generated at /gnu/store (because of many
generations). How do I know which one is the most recent one, so I can check
if my configuration is parsing correctly from guile? I tried a simple ls -lt
but everything is showing Jan 1, 1970.

Thanks Maxime.