This is a good point. The naming of `/manifest' does invite confusion when first encountering it. That said, I am pretty sure there is a place for `/manifest.scm'. Given the `--manifest' option to several commands, it makes profiles first class. In particular, it would let users easily `guix pack' or `guix archive' arbitrary profiles as needed. At the moment, it's not at all obvious how to `guix pack' the equivalent of `guix environment --container '. FWIW, I never expected `/manifest' to encode "this is what the user ordered," so much as "this is the recipe for (deterministically) reproducing this exact profile." For the former we have `packages->manifest', `specifications->manifest' etc. The latter is what I understand this discussion to be about. George Clemmer wrote: > > Ludovic Courtès writes: > > > elaexuotee@wilsonb.com skribis: > > >> First, am I missing something? Is there a better/preferred way to make use of > >> the `manifest' files in profiles? > > > You’re not missing anything: it’s a longstanding source of confusion > > that these ‘manifest’ files are not like the ‘manifest.scm’ files. > > These ‘manifest’ files are meant for internal consumption. > > This hurt my head for a while a few years ago until I realized that > 'manifest.scm' is the guix "order" and ‘.guix-profile/manifest’ is the > guix "packing list". > > But actually a guix' 'manifest' packing list goes well beyond what we > normally find in a packing list by containing detailed info about how > the specific products were made, down to the specific design for the > specific version shipped. > > Thought of this way it is easy to understand why a receiver of a > 'manifest' can only estimate the set of 'manifest.scm' that might > produce it. A simple-minded example: did the manifest.scm specify the > version of the package shipped or is this an artifact of a) when > 'manifest.scm' was processed or b) of the requirements of the other > packages that were received? > > In any event, once I saw it this way it no longer troubled me that guix > doesn't have a pushbutton way to "reverse" 'manifest' into > 'manifest.scm'. > > ISTM we set ourselves up for confused users and a lot of explaining by > labeling two very different things with same name :-0 > > Yes, only 'manifest.scm' is in the doc, but '.guix-profile/manifest' > smacks a user in the face pretty quickly which leads to these messy > questions. > > IMO we could dramatically simplify the situation, and simplify our > lives, by simply renaming the .guix-profile/manifest file ;-) > > George