On October 12, 2020 7:32:08 AM GMT+11:00, "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" wrote: >On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 05:23:30PM +1100, Brendan Tildesley wrote: >> Hi, I went through the installer looking for anything negative I >could say >> about it :) hope there is something helpful here: > >Thank you for testing! > > >> Unrelated driver bug: installer was just a black screen until I >rebooted >> with nomodeset:  https://paste.debian.net/1166581/ >> Even with nomodeset, I get an error about no UMS supported in radeon, >but it >> doesn't stop anything. > >This black screen regression should be “fixed” now (commit >34d436a4082b5c5f23b00e13eb8e5a92d957d704) by passing a kernel argument >“modprobe.blacklist=radeon” which disables the radeon driver. > >(This was also blacklisted in the last release 1.1.0 of Guix, see >. I had removed >“modprobe.blacklist=radeon” because it was for some time no longer >needed on one of my machines.) > >Some users will have a black screen in the installed system as well >(if they use Linux-libre). I don’t think we can do much about that. >Niels only had trouble with the >installer but did not on the installed system. It seems not feasible >to predict which users would have a black screen in the installed >system, so we cannot add instructions only for them. > > > >> Languages listed in the language selection are sometimes in English, >Rarely >> in the native language. […] >> Random thought: could we adapt the installer to use the same >sentences from >> an existing installer, like the ubuntu one, so that all the >translations can >> be copied in for free? All the basic quesions like please choose a >password >> are surely shared between these installers. > >Yes, we could copy translations without understanding the language (at >least after our planned switch from the Translation Project to our own >hosted Weblate translation infrastructure). > >Regards, >Florian I forgot to mention that the trisquel 8.0 installer did in fact work on the same computer. I was able to boot to the desktop, so it doesn't seem like a Linux libre issue. I wonder where the bug is introduced, and how I could isolate the bug. Maybe I could build versions of the installer with the LTS Linux or other versions to see if they work. Could the use of kmscon possibly be related?