unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Brendan Tildesley <mail@brendan.scot>
To: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>, Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Call for 1.2 installer testing.
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 10:40:11 +1100	[thread overview]

On October 12, 2020 7:32:08 AM GMT+11:00, "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 05:23:30PM +1100, Brendan Tildesley wrote:
>> Hi, I went through the installer looking for anything negative I
>could say
>> about it :) hope there is something helpful here:
>
>Thank you for testing!
>

>> Unrelated driver bug: installer was just a black screen until I
>rebooted
>> with nomodeset:  https://paste.debian.net/1166581/
>> Even with nomodeset, I get an error about no UMS supported in radeon,
>but it
>> doesn't stop anything.
>
>This black screen regression should be “fixed” now (commit
>34d436a4082b5c5f23b00e13eb8e5a92d957d704) by passing a kernel argument
>“modprobe.blacklist=radeon” which disables the radeon driver.
>
>(This was also blacklisted in the last release 1.1.0 of Guix, see
><https://issues.guix.gnu.org/40599>.  I had removed
>“modprobe.blacklist=radeon” because it was for some time no longer
>needed on one of my machines.)
>
>Some users will have a black screen in the installed system as well
>(if they use Linux-libre).  I don’t think we can do much about that.
>Niels <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/40599#8> only had trouble with the
>installer but did not on the installed system.  It seems not feasible
>to predict which users would have a black screen in the installed
>system, so we cannot add instructions only for them.
>

>> Languages listed in the language selection are sometimes in English,
>Rarely
>> in the native language. […]
>> Random thought: could we adapt the installer to use the same
>sentences from
>> an existing installer, like the ubuntu one, so that all the
>translations can
>> be copied in for free? All the basic quesions like please choose a
>password
>> are surely shared between these installers.
>
>Yes, we could copy translations without understanding the language (at
>least after our planned switch from the Translation Project to our own
>hosted Weblate translation infrastructure).
>
>Regards,
>Florian

I forgot to mention that the trisquel 8.0 installer did in fact work on the same computer. I was able to boot to the desktop, so it doesn't seem like a Linux libre issue. I wonder where the bug is introduced, and how I could isolate the bug. Maybe I could build versions of the installer with the LTS Linux or other versions to see if they work. Could the use of kmscon  possibly be related?