On Fri, 2021-03-26 at 22:13 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote: > Can you clarify what specific problem or problems you're proposing > this > security-updates branch to address? Substitute availability of security updates when they are released, without causing big rebuilds on master for users before the build farm had time to produce substitutes. > You mention applying and backporting patches is lots of work, and > uncertainty around whether grafts work in particular > situations. Also that some times backporting is just not possible because security fixes are not properly labeled upstream as security-relevant and manual review of each and every commit is just not viable. > Personally I think staging and core-updates are quite a bit of work, > and > adding more complexity to the process involves more work in my > mind. Additionally, this isn't going to provide more information > about > areas where grafts can't be used (if those exist). I understand. There's lot of uncertainty on how grafts work exactly for me and in what situations they work and what situations they do not. The only way I am certain some security fix is correctly applied in GNU Guix is when the vulnerable version of the package is not packaged at all anymore in GNU Guix. > Now the software involved is getting better at rapidly building > things > for substitutes, personally I see a way forward through trying to > measure and potentially increase the rate of change for outputs in > general. Going faster also involves more work probably, but in terms > of > the process, that might just mean that updates to more packages can > be > merged to master directly, without sitting on a non-master branch. I would like this, merging things to master directly when we feel it is the right thing would be what I would like to do. Even if it causes big world rebuilds, when we can't graft. There's another thing I saw that was ongoing but can't remember where, that 'guix pull' could hold off updating to newer revisions unless substitutes are available. Thanks for your input. Léo